CSUN police introduce new K-9 at meet and greet

Story by 
February 13th, 2013
Section: News

CSUN’s police department held a ceremony to introduce a new K-9, Isy, and honor the other K-9’s in the unit who died or retired.

Isy, a 4-year-old German Shepard, trained in bomb detection, started last September. She was officially introduced by her owner and partner, Tom Finnerty, supervisor of the K-9 unit.

Mitch, a 7-year-old German Shepard, trained in narcotics detection, was reintroduced by his owner and partner, Officer Anthony Vargas, who is new to the K-9 unit.

“I’ve always wanted to be a part of the K-9 unit, but I couldn’t because I hadn’t reached all the requirements,” Vargas said. “I needed a house and a yard and once I had them, I was happy to join.”

A video was shown to honor the new additions and commemorate K-9?s Dozer, who retired, and Freida, who died.

When Finnerty talked about Freida, who died a week before her retirement, he teared up reminiscing about his time with her. The officers can easily become attached to the dogs because they live with and work with them, Finnerty said.

To read more, click here.