Get to know: Carlos Benavides

By
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page
Photo credit: Abigaelle Levray / Daily Sundial

Major: psychology

Favorites:

Food: Bolivian dish called saltenas, similar to empanadas but better

Band: The Beatles

Athlete: Zinedine Zidane

Sports Team: Real Madrid

Life:

Hardest part about being a student-athlete: Managing your time to be successful both on and off the field

Greatest Accomplishment: Getting the opportunity to play soccer at a D1 university and study to get my degree at the same time

Hobbies: Soccer or occasionally some bike riding

Soccer:

Best part of my game: I think it’s my technique

Part of my game that needs improvement: Quicker play

Best player I’ve played against: Two center mids when I went to Spain and played against the Barcelona youth team

Player I model my game after: Zidane or Ozil

Pre-game rituals: Listen to music and visualize what I need to do to win

Difference between this year’s men’s soccer team and previous ones: We are more of a family and have great chemistry with one another. There’s also talent at every position whether you start or not and every player is willing to do whatever it takes

Goals:

Team: Back to back Big West champs and winning the NCAA tournament

Personal: Same as above and hopefully getting a chance to play at next level professionally

Extras:

Other sports played: Volleyball, gymnastics

When I started playing soccer: My dad wanted me to do some outdoor activities and stay active instead of staying inside and playing video games.

How I stay in shape during off-season: Find a team to train with and run at the hills or bike as often as I can

Person I’d like to meet: Bruce Lee

Life after CSUN: Professional soccer player

Where I imagine myself in 10 years: In a nice house with a family of two kids, maybe as a sports psychologist or something else related to psychology

Want to be heard? Send a letter to the editor. The Daily Sundial may publish your letter if it is a well thought-out opinion, provides additional information regarding an article, or a correction/clarification. Please email these to the editor in chief, at editor@csun.edu. These must include your full name (first and last), title (student, job), phone number, email and mailing address (these last three will not be published, but are needed in case we want to contact you with additional questions). For more information, view our comment policy.