Late Aggies’ 3-pointer dooms Matadors

CSUN players fight for the rebound against USC defenders as the Matadors faced the USC Trojans at the Galen Center on Nov. 23. CSUN lost 96-61 in its fifth non-conference game. File Photo/The Sundial

CSUN lost in the closing seconds to UC Davis, 63-62, to receive its first conference road loss of the season.

The Matadors led for most of this game and took the lead, 62-60, following a jump shot by sophomore guard Micheal Warren with 11 seconds left in the game.

However, the UC Davis Aggies made a three-pointer with three seconds to go in the game which proved to be the deciding factor giving the Aggies a one-point win.

Junior guard Kendall Smith had his worst game as a Matador, scoring only eight points on two-of-nine shooting from the field and missing all three of his three-point attempts.

Though, he didn’t have any trouble distributing the ball with six assists.

Warren was the Matadors’ leading-scorer with 16 points on seven-of-12 shooting to go along with six assists and four rebounds.

The Matadors started off sluggish, missing their first seven field goal attempts. A lay-up by junior guard Aaron Parks gave them their first points of the game at the 16:52 mark in the first half.

CSUN guard Aaron Parks scored 13 points on five-of-10 shooting from the field in just his second game back from a team-imposed suspension.

The Matadors held a 35-28 lead over the Aggies at halftime.

The Matadors held their largest lead of the game at 11 points with 12:59 to go in the second half. Guard Kendall Smith furthered their lead with a pair of free throws.

From here, the Matadors and Aggies continued to jostle for a winning position with the Aggies tying the game at 60 with 41 seconds remaining in the game.

The Matadors shot 47.2 percent from the field but only made one-of-eight three pointers while the Aggies made seven-of-11 from the three-point line. The one outlier though, was how the Matadors were out rebounded 36-26 and also out rebounded on the offensive end, 12 to six.

The Aggies also outscored the Matadors 14 to four in the second-chance points category.

Next, the Matadors play UC Riverside at home as CSUN looks for its first conference home win of the season.