CSUN tennis ends regular season with win

FILE PHOTO – Junior Mickey Hsu fell to 0-2 in singles matches at the Big West championships this year after falling in straight sets to UCSB on Friday. (Ashley Grant / The Sundial)

In its final match of the season, CSUN’s women’s tennis broke its three-match losing streak after defeating the UC Davis Aggies, 4-3, at the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Saturday.

The Matadors served the Aggies their first loss after three consecutive wins, which improved CSUN’s overall record to 9-12. The two teams split the singles matches, but CSUN edged UC Davis out in doubles play.

Sophomore Mickey Hsu claimed victory for CSUN in two sets to open singles competitions.

Sophomore Kiryang Kim and junior Mari Taslagyan each showed dominance in their matches, both winning in two sets.

Junior Vivan Lin fought hard with a 6-0 performance in her second set, but lost to the Aggies’ Kristy Jorgensen, 6-2, in the final set.

Freshman Skyla Alcon opened her match against Davis’ Jessie Lee with a 6-1 win in the first set, but would lose the match in an extended third, 8-10.

Despite a strong performance during the Matadors’ victory over UC Irvine on April 16, Junior Kristen Poei struggled in her singles match on Saturday. The Aggies’ Tiffany Pham took two sets to claim victory.

Poei and Hsu opened doubles play with a 6-1 win over Davis’ Pham and Alex Huie.

Lin and Alcon earned the second doubles point and secure the Matadors’ victory with a 6-4 set against their opponents, Jorgensen and Lani-Rae Green.

Saturday’s victory boosted the Matadors’ Big West Conference record to 3-5 and the overall to 9-12. The win put CSUN in sixth place in the conference.

With that said, CSUN will advance to the Big West Tournament as the No. 6 seed, where they will square off against the California State University Titans on April 28 at 8 a.m. at Indian Wells, California.