Letter to the editor

Dear Opinion Editor,

The article in the Sundial Tuesday, Aug. 28 regarding the matador symbol losing his sword was the kind of article you read two or three times because it seems so unreal.

It is astonishing to me that in our country; a country that is currently fighting two wars in the Near East, a country possessing 8,448 nuclear warheads, 12 aircraft carrier groups, 81 submarines, 201 bombers and 2.6 million soldiers and reservists, CSUN feels it is necessary to remove a sword from our Matador because it was seen as violent by some people.

One might ask (the aptly named) Dick Dull, former director of the athletic program, who was behind the change, if we should remove the violence inherent in sports itself where there is always a winner and a loser, and perhaps while we are at it we should also remove the violence out of Shakespeare.

How exactly is our newly emasculated matador going to deal with one ton of ground beef coming directly towards him? Will he talk to the bovine about current sociological conflict-resolution till he falls asleep?

Surely if we follow this politically correct path we should simply get rid of our matador altogether.?Make the bull our new mascot, then our matador can be relegated to cleaning up all the bull****.

For two decades now I have watched this campus struggle with the imbroglio of political correctness, and in nearly every instance mediocre minds have prevailed. God willing I will retire in 3.5 years, and I shall sit in my backyard for the rest of my life being as politically incorrect as I want to be.

In the meantime I will quote to your readers the great journalist H.L. Mencken: “The urge to save humanity almost always disguises the urge to rule it.”

Wayne Cohen

Do you have more to say than a comment? Want any feedback from the writer? Story ideas? Head to The Gripevine.