The student media organization of California State University Northridge

Daily Sundial

The student media organization of California State University Northridge

Daily Sundial

The student media organization of California State University Northridge

Daily Sundial

Got a tip? Have something you need to tell us? Contact us

Loading Recent Classifieds...

Matadors lose one, tie one in Fullerton tourney

The CSUN men’s soccer team achieved a split at the Cal State Fullerton Tournament this past weekend, losing its first game to the Michigan Wolverines 2-1 on Friday and playing to a scoreless tie against the Memphis Tigers on Sunday.

On Friday, both CSUN and Michigan went scoreless in the first half, but the Wolverines took control with two goals inside the first 20 minutes of the second half. Michigan’s sophomore defender Julian Robles scored the first goal five minutes into the second half with a header off a corner kick from junior forward Jake Stacy. Fifteen minutes later, Stacy himself scored, his goal coming off a breakaway from the right corner that put the Wolverines up 2-0.

CSUN pulled one back in the 79th minute, as sophomore forward Sunghyun Kim received a cross from sophomore midfielder Dylan Riley inside the left side of the Wolverines’ box and beat Michigan’s junior/sophomore goalkeeper Patrick Sperry to the far post. Unfortunately, the Matadors were unable to tie the game inside the final 11 minutes.

CSUN looked to salvage some points in its matchup with the Memphis Tigers on Sunday. The Matadors outshot the Tigers 24-13, but shot after shot sailed over the crossbar, missed left or right, was stopped by the goalkeepers, or was deflected off other players. CSUN had a chance to score in the 88th minute when sophomore forward Michael Clegg led a Matador charge into the Memphis box and fired a shot that was stopped by Sperry. The ball went to senior midfielder Fergie Agwu, but his shot from inside the box sailed high over the crossbar.

Memphis had perhaps the best chance to win the game in regulation with 88:50 left when sophomore defender Robert Pate was yellow-carded for tugging on the jersey of freshman midfielder Ryan Ruble while trying to stop Ruble on a breakaway. The foul resulted in a Memphis free kick at the top of the Matador box. Senior midfielder Kevin Walsh took the free kick, but the ball sailed well over the net.

In the first overtime, CSUN attempted three shots and held Memphis without a shot attempt. In the second overtime, CSUN had a good chane at a potential game-winner when junior forward Devin Deldo won a loose ball inside Tiger territory and broke for the goal. Deldo’s shot from the top of the box looked good, but sailed over the crossbar by mere inches. Then in the 116th minute, Memphis’ junior midfielder Jordan Lynn had himself a good look at a game-winner, but his shot at the top of the box bounced off the crossbar and was soon cleared out of harm’s way.

Both teams continued to apply pressure on offense as time ran out. Riley actually got off a shot attempt as time expired in the second overtime, but was blocked by a Memphis defender, and just like that, the match ended with both teams unable to get the ball into the net.

“Defensively, we played pretty solid,” junior goalkeeper Kevin Guppy said.

Head coach Terry Davila was pleased with how the Matadors were able to create scoring chances, particularly on corner kicks, free kicks and shot attempts.

“We just need to refine our offense,” Davila said.

The Matadors head to Las Vegas this weekend to compete in the UNLV Adidas Invitational Tournament at Peter Johann Memorial Soccer Field. CSUN will play Cleveland State at 4:30 p.m. on Friday and will take on the host UNLV Rebels on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

Do you have more to say than a comment? Want any feedback from the writer? Story ideas? Head to The Gripevine.

More to Discover