Local favorites for Happy Hour

Acapulco’s bartender says $2 margarita Mondays is a hit. Photo credit: Audrey Arellano

After a long day at school and work, all you want to do is chill and unwind with some friends over drinks.

There’s always Buffalo Wild Wings and Yard House, but you find yourself there more often than usual and feel like trying something new. Not to mention, new prices that won’t break a college student’s budget.

“Being a student, I want to save in any way possible but still be able to enjoy myself,” said Roxanna De La Santos, a Biology major.

The 22-year-old Biology major isn’t much of a drinker, but said that Ace Pineapple Cider is one drink from Taps Valley Gastropub that caught her taste buds. The affordable happy hour menu their is one of her favorites in the area.

Located on Devonshire Street in the same plaza as LA Fitness, the gastropub has Happy Hour deals running from Monday through Friday, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and all day on Sundays.

They also have a deal on days that Los Angeles’ sports teams play; $5 pints of Guinness, Ace Pineapple Cider, Modelo, and White Rascal Ale, and $1 off of all bottled beer.

Happy Hour doesn’t only apply to drinks here, there’s a special $7-and-under menu you can pick food to pair up with you drink. Nachos, hummus, tostadas, wings, and few other items make up this menu.

“Our most ordered drinks would have to be the Ace Pineapple Cider, White Rascal Ale, and the IPA we have,” said Julie Reyes, one of Taps’ waitresses.

Another place to check out is the Stovepiper Lounge on Parthenia Street. Get $1 off of everything during happy hour Monday through Friday, all day until 7 p.m. This lounge doesn’t have any food, but they do have a wide selection of IPA’s.

Lizzie Barajas, 23, an English major, expressed her love for Mexican food and suggested her favorite place to go to for great drinks and food. Acapulco has reasonable prices and great deals. Mondays are for $2 margaritas and Tuesdays they offer $3 tacos and $4 beers plus a shot.

“The prices here are so good,” Barajas said. “It’s a total steal, so why wouldn’t you go and try it out at least?”

Happy hour is Monday through Friday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays, happy hour is in effect from 4 p.m. until closing. Every third Wednesday of the month has $2 margaritas as well.

Last but not least, if you want to get out and away from around campus, check out the arcade bar called The One Up on Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks. It may sound like a bit of a drive, but it’s really just a 12 mile drive from CSUN.

The One Up is a little bar that has a whole room dedicated to arcade games. Vintage couches line up along the perimeter of the bar while a bird cage-like chair hangs from the ceiling. The dimly lit bar has a homey feeling to it and laid back vibes fill the air.

Happy hour is all day on Monday and Tuesday through Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. There is a happy hour menu with well drinks for just $5, white or red wine for $6, the One Up draft for $5, and Firestone 805 for $4. Also included for happy hour are wings, turkey meatballs, tacos, tuna tartare, and egg rolls for only $5 each.

Whether you like sports bars, cantinas, or arcades, you can definitely go out and have some fun during the week without breaking the bank.