Matadors play two teams for the first time ever

This weekend looks to be a tough one for the Cal State Northridge women’s soccer (2-2) team. They are traveling to Nebraska to play against Creighton on Friday and then return home to play the University of Vermont on Sunday.

Any time you have to travel as far as the Matadors are this weekend, it is always difficult, especially given that Northridge has to do it against a tough Creighton team that is 3-1-1. The main reason why the Blue Jays have a strong record is that they have outscored their opponents 13-1 in their five games. This included an 8-0 drubbing that they handed out to South Dakota, and their only loss was 1-0 to North Dakota State. Creighton has also outshot its opponents 112-45 and had 30 corner kicks to the opposing 11.

It is going to be the first time that these two teams have faced each other in competition. CSUN looks to rebound strongly after suffering a heart-wrenching defeat last Sunday at home against Oregon State, a game in which they led 1-0 with 13 minutes left only to lose 3-1.

Following the game against Creighton, the Matadors will come home immediately and get ready for their next test Sunday against Vermont.

Luckily, Vermont will also be coming off a game, Friday, on the road at Loyola Marymount. Vermont has only played one game so far this season, tying Central Connecticut University 2-2. This will also be the first time that CSUN has played Vermont.

Heading into this weekends games, head coach Keith West has the Matadors playing well, getting solid contributions from a lot of different players. Team leaders such as Farryn Townley, Niki Connolly, and Sydney Vermillion have played extremely well, while other players like Heidi Farran and Desiree Cardenas have also stepped up their game.