Spotlight: One in 36,000

Jeromy Velasco, a 20-year-old art major, has had an interest in drawing since grade school. Photo Caption: Michelle Nelson / Staff Reporter

Art inspires 20-year-old Jeromy Velasco. It even inspired his decision on what breed of dog to get – a Weimaraner, the dog that is the subject of artist William Wegman’s compositions.

Velasco found out about the breed through Wegman, who is most noted for his fine art photography that features dogs with human arms dressed in costumes.

Velasco, a third-year art major with an emphasis in illustration, has been drawing since grade school. He knew from an early age that art was something he would do for life.

“There’s nothing else I would enjoy,” said Velasco.

Velasco graduated from Los Angeles County High School for the Arts, a public school that specializes in visual and performing arts.

“High school opened my eyes to [art],” said Velasco.

In high school, Velasco dabbled in painting and drawing.

“I even tried fashion. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do,” he said. Velasco now focuses on illustration and draws in his sketchbook in his free time.

Velasco chose to go to CSUN instead of a traditional art school because he wanted to solidify his decision to pursue art while exploring other interests. He said art schools are too expensive and going to CSUN allows him to pursue his interests at a cheaper price tag.

Velasco has run into some difficulties getting into the painting class he needed. Velasco said that instead of getting permission numbers to add a class, as was protocol in the past, now professors need proof of department consent.

He said he eventually had to go to the art department office and ask for written consent.

“That was the most work I had to do just to get into a class,” he said. “It’s ridiculous.”

Rather than focusing on the unknown, Velasco prefers to live day by day. “Life’s too short,” he said.

When he finishes school he has no exact plan, but sees himself working as a freelance artist.

Velasco said he can’t picture himself working for anybody and prefers the freedom to draw on his own time.

“It’s fun doing stuff on your own,” he said.

Besides drawing in his sketchbook, Velasco likes bike riding and watching “Top Chef” and “It’s Me or the Dog” on Animal Planet.

“I had to throw that in there,” Velasco said about the show on Animal Planet. “She would appreciate it,” he said, referring to his dog, Akiva.

To see Velasco’s artwork, check out jeromyvelasco.blogspot.com.