Metrolink announces service reduction, CSUN suspends Metrolink shuttle service for month of April

Alyssa Durant, Assistant Campus News Editor

Metrolink announced a new, temporary schedule and service reduction during the COVID-19 pandemic. The narrowed schedule will offer less train services when it goes into effect on Thursday, March 26. Updated departure times can be found on the Metrolink website.

“In planning the temporary service reduction, we looked carefully at the ridership on each of our lines, and each of our trains,” said Metrolink CEO Stephanie Wiggins in an email to riders. “We built a temporary reduced schedule to ensure plenty of service during peak times for those who need it, and to ensure we maintain as many connections as possible.”

CSUN provides a free shuttle service that gives students rides between campus and Metrolink’s Northridge Station. CSUN has now suspended that shuttle service for the month of April, according to its Metrolink information page.

According to the 2018-19 CSUN Sustainability Report, nearly 40% of the CSUN community chose alternative transportation methods — including Metrolink — over single occupant vehicles.

The Associated Students’ ticket office sold 4,405 transit passes for Metro and the Antelope Valley Transportation Agency in the 2018-19 academic year. The sustainability report includes records that show 577,000 rides were taken by CSUN students using the Metro U-pass over the respective school year.

According to the university’s report, the Metrolink shuttle was utilized enough to consider passes for pre-tax commuter choice benefits on a Metrolink mobile app feature.

Metrolink’s Ventura County Line makes a stop in Northridge on its venture from Oxnard, Camarillo, and Simi Valley to Burbank, Glendale, and Los Angeles Union Station. The line also runs trains from the LA Union Station to Northridge. Along with the Ventura County Line, Metrolink serves Antelope Valley, Riverside, Inland Empire, Orange County, San Bernardino and Perris Valley with respective transit.

The public transportation industry was listed as an essential service to remain open during COVID-19 non-essential business shutdowns.

Metrolink officials reported that systemwide ridership dropped nearly 80% at the end of last week. The decline in business called for the need to reduce hours.

Riders are encouraged to text “ML19” to “333777” for a mobile link to the webpage that shows the updated schedule.

“While we really don’t know what will be next as we navigate these uncharted waters together, know that, we are committed to your safety, and to timely communication,” Wiggins said in her email.