Elijah Harkless leaves CSUN, commits to Oklahoma

Logan Bik

After entering the transfer portal, sophomore Elijah Harkless has elected to transfer to Oklahoma University over offers from several other schools.

Danny Escobar, Reporter

Sophomore Elijah Harkless has elected to transfer to Oklahoma University over offers from Fresno State, Loyola Marymount, Montana State and San Diego.

“New beginnings,” Harkless said in an Instagram post. “I have officially committed to Oklahoma University #BoomerSooner ????”

View this post on Instagram

New beginnings, I have officially committed to Oklahoma university #BoomerSooner ????

A post shared by Elijah Harkless (@ejayxballer) on

Harkless was an unheralded two-star recruit coming out of Etiwanda High School, averaging over 10 points and five assists per game. He helped the Eagles to a 30-4 record along with two berths to the CIF Southern Section Open Division and Southern Regional State playoffs.

In his freshman year at CSUN, Harkless appeared in 18 games and only started in two while averaging 3.9 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 14.3 minutes per game.

The 6-foot-4-inch guard saw his minutes double during his sophomore campaign. Harkless exploded offensively and averaged 10.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game. He shot 45% from the field and 36% from behind-the-arc in 29.6 minutes per game. Harkless also led the Big West in steals, averaging 1.7 per game. His 54 steals during the season were the most by a Matador since 2005.

Well known for playing with a high motor, Harkless’ apex at CSUN was leading the Matadors in a win over UC Irvine. It was CSUN’s first victory against UC Irvine since 2014, ending an 11-game losing streak against the Anteaters. Harkless posted a career-high 30 points, seven rebounds, two steals and one crucial block to seal the game. He shot 12-of-19 from the field, 2-for-5 from behind-the-arc and 4-for-5 from the free-throw line.

Harkless also recorded CSUN’s lone triple-double in school history. He scored 22 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists against St. Katherine.

Harkless is the latest Matador to join the mass exodus. CSUN lost lead-scorer Terrell Gomez to San Diego State and two-time Big West Player of the Year Lamine Diane to the NBA Draft last week. Including Gomez and Harkless, the Matadors have seven players in the transfer portal.

Whether Harkless will be immediately eligible or sitting out next season remains unknown. The NCAA will review a one-time transfer waiver on April 24 and make a decision on May 20. With over 700 players in the transfer portal, Harkless and others seem to be taking matters into their own hands.