Associated Students approves resolution for free menstrual products in all bathrooms on campus

Logan Bik

During the Associated Students meeting on Nov. 29, 2021, the senate approved a resolution that calls for putting free menstrual products in all restrooms at CSUN.

Noor Sufi, Reporter

The Associated Students passed a resolution that calls for free menstrual products in CSUN restrooms during their weekly meeting on Nov. 29.

The resolution, titled “Free Menstrual Products in CSUN Restrooms,” demands that all bathroom facilities on campus will be stocked with free menstrual products in the next school year.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 367, Menstrual Equity for All Act of 2021, on Oct. 8. Starting in the 2022-2023 academic year, AB 367 requires all public schools in the state of California to provide at least one designated space for students to access free menstrual products.

The resolution calls for the university to exceed the bill’s requirements, since one location with free period products may not be as easily accessible to students. It also requests that the university implement the requirement by providing environmentally-healthy products in all restrooms, including gender-neutral and male bathrooms.

Members of AS mentioned that the majority of CSUN’s body is made up of menstruating students, according to CSUN’s enrollment profile for fall 2020. According to Melanie Mejia, the AS chair of personnel, menstrual products are a basic need and there is no reason why CSUN shouldn’t have free menstrual products in restrooms.

“Our goal towards this resolution was not only to create a safe space for menstruating students, but also to demonstrate that we as an institution can care for menstruating individuals,” Mejia said. “We hope this resolution challenges stigma surrounding menstruation, while also supporting students in [their] time of need [while] on campus.”

Reports:

President Jonathan Hay’s report: Hay talked about the 2021-2022 academic calendar with Diane Guido, the associate vice president for Faculty Affairs, and Michelle Kilmnick, director for Faculty Affairs.
Hay discussed wanting to design the calendar so that it accommodates religious students who cannot come to campus on certain days.
Attorney General Shayan Moshtael’s report: Moshtael mentioned that he will be hosting an upcoming campus conversation with Colin Donahue, the CSUN vice president of Administration and Finance, and Ranjit Phillip, the CSUN interim vice president for Information Technology and chief information officer, on Dec. 10 at noon via Zoom.
Students interested in attending will need to register beforehand so they can be sent the Zoom link.