CSUN women’s basketball loses focus against Prairie View A&M

The Cal State Northridge women’s basketball team lost 85-70 against Prairie View A&M, Sunday afternoon at the Matadome.

Coaches always say that fundamentals are the key to victory, but the Matadors did not put that saying into practice.

The Matadors committed 22 turnovers, which really hurt their confidence.

“A couple of mistakes and we get deflated. We need to work on staying positive,” head coach Schulz says.
Due to the lack of focus during the game is what made the Matadors create turnovers.
“It was a lack of effort for a full game,” Schulz said.

Bridgette Conejo, who scored a career-high 26 points, set a record for three-pointers in a matador game with seven. Conejo didn’t care about her offensive stats and wants to get better on the defensive side.

“We have to pick it up on defensive and take more pride. We need to start doing the small things,” Conejo said.

However, hopefully the quick hands of incoming freshman Amanda Thomson hopes to help with the defensive problem.

“I want to get deflections and help my team out,” Thomson said.

Nevertheless, the Panthers deserve credit. They took advantage of the turnovers, and turned them into 20 points. They also shot 50.8 percent from the field and 77.8 percent from the free throw line.

Furthermore, the Matadors are 0-2, and they picked a bad time to realize they have issues doing the simple details. They are about to hit the road, and if they don’t get the fundamentals figure out they will lose to San Jose State on Friday.