Letter from the Editor – Fashion

Rodrigo Hernandez

Dear Sundial readers,

This second issue of the Sundial’s magazine this year focuses on the fashion industry. Fashion, to me, is not just the clothes we wear every day—it is about the production, influence and technology that goes into making a singular item. Everyone expresses themselves differently with the clothes they wear. What we choose to wear is a part of our identity, whether it be comfortable outfits, elegant dresses, trendy streetwear or cultural clothing.

In the following pages, we wanted to capture everything the fashion industry touches. We highlight stories of how the ideal body type has fluctuated over time, how fast fashion is killing our planet and how technology is changing the very fabric we wear.

I’m no fashionista myself, but I believe it is important for us to look into how influential this industry is. It influences the way we see ourselves and each other. It can manipulate the way we eat or exercise. It can make us feel like a model walking down the runway. It can make our pockets run empty if we are not careful.

We take the time to show off our campus’ initiatives to teach future designers and merchandisers how they can lead a better future. I encourage you, our reader, to take the time to appreciate how our faculty and students have taken exceptional steps to change the industry for the better while also noting its errors. I hope you enjoy our second issue of the 2023-24 school year.