ARC Churches’ Dino Rizzo and Mark Pettus Offer Insight into Connecting with Gen Z 

One of the biggest challenges that leaders in ministry face today is connecting with younger generations. Dino Rizzo, the executive director of ARC (Association of Related Churches), shares that despite the typical negative perceptions of Gen Z, he has high hopes for their desire to be connected to God. 

Mark Pettus, the president of Highlands College, agrees. What Gen Zers are looking for most is hope. For a generation that grew up with cellphones and the ability to connect with anyone in the world at any time, they want something real that they can grab a hold of. 

Church leaders can offer Zoomers the message of Jesus to provide them that hope. He is the “real” thing on which to latch. Here are some ways church leaders can connect with Gen Z. 

Start from the Beginning 

ARC church leaders of today who want to connect with Gen Zers can’t take for granted their baseline biblical knowledge, Mark Pettus says. Instead, they need to go back to the very beginning and take them through the journey of who is God and what is truth.  

In fact, it’s more important now than ever. 

But leaders of ARC churches need to be mindful that Gen Zers want this information to be presented to them in a life-giving and relevant way. The members of this generation are hungry to learn, and they want to grow.  

So, it’s not the desire that ministry leaders need to worry about; it’s how they are preaching the message, and that all starts with setting the foundation.  

Student ministry “can get cool,” Dino Rizzo says, but you can’t hang all your hooks on being cool. 

Empower Their Learning 

Empowerment is a big word for Gen Zers. They don’t just want to be preached to — although that’s certainly a necessary component of discipleship — they want to play an active part. 

Mark Pettus says that a great way to connect with Gen Z is to take a question-and-answer approach to catechism. That is, present them with questions and then allow them to access the Bible for answers. In this way, Gen Zers learn how to solve the problems in their life with God’s word. 

“That’s what gives them the motivation to continue to grow,” he said. “I think that’s the core of discipleship right now, is take them on that journey into Scripture.” 

Focus on Three Pillars 

Dino Rizzo of ARC (Association of Related Churches) and Mark Pettus say that youth pastors can focus on three pillars to connect with Gen Z.  

First, it’s taking a guidance approach to ministry. This means allowing them to ask questions and spread God’s word. Dino Rizzo says it’s almost like cooking a meal together — starting with a small group environment, having a predetermined lesson and then allowing them to inquire. 

Second, it’s about building a healthy community and friendships. This helps build connection at a time when students are more disconnected now than they ever were before. 

Finally, ARC church leaders need to help Gen Zers discover their purpose. That includes allowing them to explore questions like what is truth? Where do I belong? And does my life matter? 

Pastors can connect with Gen Z in multiple ways and can help them discover the power of Jesus and His word. 

About ARC (Association of Related Churches) 

ARC (Association of Related Churches) is a cooperative of independent churches from different denominations, networks, and backgrounds who strategically resource church planters and pastors to help them reach people with the message of Jesus. ARC exists to see a thriving church in every community, reaching people with the message of Jesus. Since its beginning in 2001, ARC has grown into a global organization and has helped plant more than 1,000 churches.