Young Matadors take charge, topple Utah State in season opener

Aliyah Hinckley
File photo. Guard Rachel Harvey, 4, drives to the hoop while CSU Bakersfield guard Nseije Ortiz, 14, defends her on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2023, at the Premier America Credit Union Arena in Northridge, Calif.

For the first time since the 2016-17 season, the CSUN women’s basketball team has opened their season with a victory.

The Matadors (1-0) started their season with a bang at the Premier Union Credit Arena Monday evening, winning impressively against the Utah State Aggies (0-1) 79-64.

The bench came alive for CSUN as two Matadors recorded double-digit figures. Freshman guards Amiyah Ferguson and Kaitlyn Elsholz tied for a game high of 18 points each. Meanwhile, University of the Pacific transfer Erica Adams, and junior Laney Amundsen tallied 17 and 10 points respectively for the Matadors.

Mitchell had nothing but positives to say about her freshman guards.

“They are both competitors… and can score in a lot of different ways. They are a lot of fun for our fans to watch,” Mitchell said.

The first quarter began with both teams exchanging leads within the first five minutes of the game, until a pair of threes by Ferguson and Elsholz helped build an 18-12 lead for the Matadors.

In the second quarter, the Matadors outscored Utah State 22-10 as they flashed their defensive prowess.

CSUN went into the half holding onto a 17-point lead.

Utah State was abysmal shooting the three ball, as they finished 0-14 on the night.

As the second half began, the Aggies began swiping away at the lead, outscoring the Matadors 20-13 and reducing the Matador lead to nine points heading into the fourth quarter.

The Aggies were scrappy, never allowing the Matadors to completely pull away in the second half.

But the Matadors managed to regain momentum and close the game.

Bridget Mullings, a junior for Utah State, put up a double-double in the losing effort as she put up a team-high in points and a game-high in rebounds with 17 and 10.

The Matadors return to action on Thursday when they host Seattle University at 6 p.m.