5 Vital Steps to Take if You’re Accused of a Crime 

Content provided by legal writers

Image Source: Pexels

Most people experience panic and anxiety attacks when they’re accused of a crime, while some go into hiding even if they’re not guilty. Keeping your cool may not happen, but just remember that you have the rights you can exercise while the opposite camp says their piece.

These rights are often called by the legal mind as your Miranda Rights, protecting the accused from those who want to find them guilty and those who wish to use the law against them. But just remember you’re innocent until proven guilty. It’s your accusers who will present evidence to prove that you really did the alleged crime. 

Still, it might be best if you take these steps here just to make sure you’re not going out of your turf when you’re accused of a crime.

Some Steps to Undertake

1. Stay Calm and Remain Silent

The law gives you and every accused the right to remain silent, so use it until you have a legal counsel who may speak and argue on your behalf. So, instead of the running and disappearing act, it’s best for you to stay calm and avoid saying anything that could incriminate you or make statements that could worsen your case.

Wait for your lawyers, and let everyone know just that.

2. Contact an Attorney

It will be to your advantage if you reach out to a criminal defense and personal injury attorney as soon as possible. A defense lawyer is a legal expert in criminal law and proceedings who can help you understand your rights, how to properly use them, and how to prepare your affidavits, pleadings, documents, and evidence to structure a competent defense for you.

You can reach out and find these experts in many law firms. For instance, if you are based in West Texas, you could contact the Law Offices of David M. White or another reputable law office serving that region. So, as soon as you get a summons, contact a legal defender immediately. It’s not only so you can effectively argue and state your case, but it’s for your legal protection as well.

3. Gather Evidence

Though it might be too far away from your thoughts at the time the incident happened, it’s better if you can collect any evidence or information that could support your defense. It may be documents, witness statements, or any other relevant material that your lawyer may put to good use, especially in court.

4. Follow Legal Advice

You’re the accused, right? So, it might be better if you know when to draw the line because there are times when you want to do it all and speed up the process as much as you can. This thinking might jeopardize the build-up of your cause, defending and proving you’re innocent.

It’s more effective if you listen to your attorney’s advice and follow their guidance. They’re the experts when it comes to the confusing terms and doctrines in law. They also have the expertise to lead you through the legal system and can help you make informed decisions regarding your situation, apart from keeping you informed of any progress on your case.

5. Attend Court Hearings

Calendar and make sure that you attend all hearings as may be required by the court. If you fail to attend and appear in court without due cause, you’ll certainly suffer serious consequences for your case. You might even be convicted in your absence. 

Summons to appear in court are typically mandatory–your failure to do so may prompt the court to issue a bench warrant. You could get arrested, or the court may go on with the hearing even if you’re not there. The court will then hear the other party, and you won’t have the opportunity to present your defense, which might lead to your conviction. 

So, better make your appearance–it’s one way of protecting your rights and avoiding getting in jail.

This content is provided by an independent source for informational purposes only and does not contain legal advice. Consult an attorney or financial advisor when making decisions. This information is provided by legal writers and does not reflect the views or opinions of The Daily Sundial editorial staff.