Valera Nest: CSUN welcomes its first-ever basic needs location to support students

CSUN is bringing a basic needs and resources center to students starting in the fall 2025 semester. The Valera Nest is the first of its kind in the CSU system.

Valera Nest, formally known as “Nurturing Environment for Students to Thrive,” is a renovated space located in the University Student Union on the east side of the Grand Salon. It will give students access to food, housing, clothing and wellness services.

Valera Nest was designed to normalize basic needs services, emphasizing a strengths-based, inclusive and integrated approach by providing resources to students.

Planned as an inclusive space benefiting the entire CSUN community, Valera Nest will have services that are focused on basic needs and will serve as a place to build community with other students.

Steven Wein, the University Student Union Marketing Manager at CSUN, explained that the Valera Nest is a location where students have the opportunity to get resources.

“Our goal is to strengthen the welfare of all students inside and outside the classroom, helping them succeed on their academic journey and, ultimately, graduate,” Wein said.

Services housed in the facility will include basic needs offices staffed by care coordinators who will assist students with resources related to food, security and emergency housing. The CSUN food pantry will also be providing food assistance programs, food, toiletries, dry goods, produce and refrigerated foods.

A Community Kitchen will also be available with a lounge area for students, equipped with food preparation stations and refrigerated lockers. Lastly, Matty’s Closet will provide professional clothing for students.

“The development and construction of the Valera Nest was made by donations by Milt and Debbie Valera and Rick and Barbara Levy, amongst others,” Wein said.

The project will launch in early May 2024, with construction beginning immediately after the commencement ceremonies on campus.

Correction: A previous version of this article misspelled the name of the basic needs location, Valera NEST. We spelled it incorrectly as Verla NEST.