Letter from the Editor: Issue 9

Print Editor Sasha Alikhanov.

Mental health is a pervasive part of students’ academic lives. Whether students feel proud of their grades, nervous about finals or excited to graduate, emotions guide students’ success and endurance throughout their semesters. The ninth issue of the Sundial magazine focuses on mental health on campus with topics from therapy to graduation.

In multiple interviews for this issue’s stories, mental health professionals commended the wave of openness about feelings and anxiety. People were and continue to be shamed for seeking help or admitting they are struggling, but the promotion of therapy and vulnerable conversations helps break down stigmas.

At California State University, Northridge, students have access to therapy through University Counseling Services, which are highlighted in the feature story. In the process of writing the story, everyone contacted was warm and welcoming with a clear passion for helping students both in person and virtually. If a student cannot come into the office, UCS offers online therapy, which makes care accessible, as mentioned in the Technology story by Conrado Picanco. Past students shared their advice in the Yesterday’s News story by David Chavez, and current seniors shared how they were feeling about their imminent graduations in the Campus Talk story by Henri Mossiat.

This issue combines the perspectives of students and care professionals on campus in an effort to have something interesting for any reader. The throughline of the stories is that everyone on campus is a person. Everyone has unique experiences and emotions that guide them in their lives. No two people are the same, but we can find ways to connect and relate. At CSUN, we are a community, and we can support each other by spreading awareness and championing vulnerability.

Thank you,

Sasha Alikhanov