CSUN Theater brought attendees to Bikini Bottom

CSUN Theatre hosted their interpretation of the “Spongebob Musical” at the Campus Theatre, located in Nordhoff Hall.

The CSUN theatre department took attendees to Bikini Bottom for their interpretation of “The Spongebob Musical” on Monday, April 15 at the Campus Theatre located in Nordhoff Hall.

The immersive set design transformed the venue into a town where land and sea are welcomed as one. As each character was revealed, the audience became more excited to see their beloved childhood show brought to life.

The play began with Patchy the Pirate interacting with the audience, telling them how excited he was to see the show. Then, two security guards came out, attempting to remove him from the theater. The audience was instantly captivated and were laughing and yelling at him to run before he got caught. Patchy then made his way into the audience, informing security that if they wanted to get him they would have to go through the audience as well. The opening segment of the show was full of laughter and excitement. It was a great way to open up the show.

Each student portrayed their character perfectly. It was as if they were made for the roles. The voices that each actor used were very similar to those of the character they were impersonating. It was obvious that each actor was passionate about their role. Through all the music and all the interactions between each character, Bikini Bottom became a place both welcomed and desired by all.

The audience was full of both families and students. Throughout the play, there were many memorable moments, and the production allowed the audience to see their favorite characters being brought to life. At certain points, some audience members would yell to warn the characters or add their own input during conflicts between characters. The musical itself was 2 hours and 20 minutes long with a 10-minute intermission.

One of the things that made the musical stand out was the modern takes on situations within Spongebob SquarePants that no one really thought of. One example of this would be the depiction of the relationship between Mr. Krabs and his daughter, Pearl. In the show, their relationship never seemed to struggle because of a third recipient, money. However, as the play progressed, a consistent issue within their relationship was how infatuated Mr. Krabs was with money.

Another instance in the play that made it unique, was the format of some of the music. Plankton’s rap about his master plan to overthrow the Krusty Krab and make everyone obsessed with the Chum Bucket particularly excelled at that. This song was a modern take on Plankton’s character and allowed the audience to connect with the character better.

Overall, the unique interpretation and casting of the play made it an enjoyable and memorable experience. It was a perfect way to close out the semester of productions.