Study break tips from us to you

Here at the Daily Sundial, we know finals are hard. So here are some of the ways our staff gets through finals and what we do to take a break. These tips help us and we hope they help you. Good luck!

“If you need a distraction from your diligent studying during the upcoming week of finals, I have the perfect treat that will last for days. Making spicy minestrone soup is therapeutic and rewarding especially during these chilly winter nights. Here is a quick and somewhat easy recipe that will keep you warm and motivated to complete your studies with vigor.

Prep and cook time: about 60 minutes

1 large pot
1 yellow or spanish onion (chopped)
1 cup of carrots (chopped)
1 cup of celery (chopped)
1 lb. of fresh tomatoes (chopped)
1 cup of cabbage (chopped)
1/2 cup of fennel (chopped)
2 tbsp of garlic (minced)
1 cup of tomato juice
1 1/2 cup water
16 oz of reduced salt chicken broth
1 medium zucchini (chopped)
1 cup green beans (chopped)
15 oz can of white beans (you can also get a bag of dry cannelini beans that need to be soaked overnight the day before you cook)
Honey
1 bunch of basil
shredded or grated parmesan cheese

Herbs: cayenne, oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme

Step one: Bring onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, cabbage, garlic, tomato juice, water and broth to a boil.
Step two: Add a pinch of salt, pepper and cayenne. Reduce heat and cover with lid to simmer for 20 minutes.
Step three: Add zucchini, green beans, white beans, another pinch of cayenne and a hefty tablespoon of honey and return to a boil. Add three oz of dried pasta, preferably one that will fit on a spoon.
Step four: Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Step five: Turn off heat and add herbs and basil to soup and let sit for 10 minutes with lid on.
Step six: Serve in your favorite soup bowl and add parmesan as you desire.

This delicious and healthy meal will warm your bones and give you leftovers for days. Enjoy and good luck on finals.”
– William Herbe, Opinions editor

“When writing papers or gathering information online, Pandora’s jazz station is my best friend.”
– Veronica Morris, Sundial Marketing

“[I] Listen to samba music, close my keeps and pretend I’m drinking a cold beer on a beach somewhere. [I also] watch Youtube videos, usually something with a baby animal.”
– Michelle Nelson, Staff Reporter

“So I listen to music. I actually plug my headphones into my iPod but I listen to it quietly. I have my studious mix, which is all classical music because I heard its better for you. Usually its without words because it’s easier to concentrate on what you’re doing, but at least you have something in the background.”
– Ashley Weber, Classifieds

“I find comfort and solace in the music of Icelandic post-rock band Sigur Rós. Whenever I feel stressed or overwhelmed by my upcoming finals, all I need to do is pipe in their melodic and organic sounds through my iPod to help me relax.”
– Jonathan Pobre, Executive Editor

“Have relaxing music playing in the background. Bands I recommend are Radiohead, Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire. Take breaks and watch funny movies. Some examples, ‘Mean Girls,’ ‘Burn After Reading,’ ‘Breakfast Club.’ Visit some funny websites like  www.funnyordie.com and www.fmylife.com to break up the library research. Read magazines to relax. ‘Rolling Stone,’  ‘Spin,’ and ‘Entertainment Weekly’ are fun.”
– Lilianna Oustinovskaya, Editor in Chief