Get your wardrobe ready for 2010

Photo Caption: Bodhi Severns / Staff Photographer

With 2010 already in full swing, it’s time to start off the new decade with a new you! The beginning of the year is a fabulous reason to reinvent yourself and your style. It’s time to say goodbye to the old, exhausted trends of 2009 and hello to the bold fashion forecast for 2010.

For women, 2009 was all about skinny jeans paired with slouching boots. Boots could be found in a variety of different styles, prices and in stores ranging from Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales to Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe.

In addition, boyfriend tees and blazers started a new trend last year and became increasingly popular among younger women, most often used for a trendy yet professional look. For nights on the town, sequins was a big hit in ’09, adding sparkle and playful appeal to any ensemble.

In a more casual sense, flannels and plaids made a huge comeback in 2009, gaining more popularity than ever with both guys and girls. Celebrities and students alike were seen sporting military-inspired jackets during the later part of 2009. Fortunately, both are still continuing to gain popularity with both men and women during the beginning of the new year.

As for men, 2009 was a big year for V-neck and graphic tees. Possibly taking a page out of the Simon Cowell fashion book, the trend really seemed to catch on with young men. Graphic tees became as fashionable as ever, featuring skull-inspired logos and abstract designs.

It’s guaranteed that we can expect a variety of change in the fashion world for 2010. For women, the “bling-bling” look is out. Flashier is not always better and 2010’s fashions are speculated to reflect our current economic climate. This means we will be seeing more simplistic designs as large, statement jewelry will start to fade. Women will also start to mix high end pieces with low end pieces, which have recently caught the attention of many major designers.

Men on the other hand, will start to see more exposed zippers on a mixture of different pieces ranging from jeans to jackets. We should also expect to see a less baggy and sloppy look this year in mens wear.

Suits will be following a more custom-fitted silhouette, and casual wear will also showcase a more tailored look. Pallets of neutral colors and hints of mineral and stone will also be a big part of many mens designers’ collections for 2010.

As always, vintage continues to be popular among both sexes, and are mixed with modern pieces to give the vintage item a more distinctive look. Eco-friendly clothes are also on the verge of becoming a hot new trend for men and women of all ages. Many designers are predicting an eco-fashion movement in the near future, and multiple brands have recently added elements of eco-friendly materials in their 2010 collections.

It’s only natural that our style evolves because our way of life has progressed so much over the past year. We can’t be expected to dwell on 2009 and all of its entities.

For example, the Kate Gosselin haircut has become over-popularized that even Kate herself got sick of it; recently adding new extensions to her famous ‘do.

Even  key players in social networking sites have shifted. Myspace is out and Facebook and Twitter are in. It’s as simple as that.  The mobile phone world has also changed with more and more Blackberrys and Smartphones replacing the classic flip-phone. In addition, it’s safe to say that touch-tone buttons are out and touch screens are in when it comes to most electronic devices.

Whatever your style preference may be, remember to stay true to your own unique style and take advantage of these innovative times. Use the beginning of the year to wipe the slate clean, start fresh, and take that fashion risk that you’ve been thinking about for the past year. Always remember: when you look good, you feel good.