CSUN softball hosts invitational this weekend

Matador pitcher Mia Pagano winds up for a pitch. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith / Staff Photographer.

Coming off a sweep against Michigan State, the CSUN softball team (5-9) will ride a four-game winning streak into the Matador Invitational, which they host this weekend. Northridge will face Iowa, Santa Clara, Saint Mary’s, and Cal State Bakersfield at Matador field.

The Matador pitching has been solid in the past four games, making their opponents strand 18 runners on base, and holding them to 13 runs.

“We have to take it one game at a time,” said pitcher Hannah Fraijo, who had two wins against Michigan State, “Treat every pitch as it’s the most important and keep focused.”

CSUN’s hitting was contagious in the top of its batting order with a combined 28 hits out of the team total of 38 in the past four games. In those games CSUN also had 21 runs batted in, when in its first 10 games of the season it brought in 26 runs.

“In the past four games everyone was hitting,” said outfielder Jennifer Mosier, who has a four- game hitting streak. “We are producing and clicking.”

Iowa (7-7) comes into Northridge after a close loss to Georgia Tech 9-8 in extra innings. Chelsey Carmody has been a killer on offense for the Hawkeyes with a .442 batting average, 19 hits, ten RBI’s and four homeruns.

Santa Clara (0-6) has had no luck winning a single game this season, which have been all on the road. The Broncos have only collected 20 hits and two runs, both coming off of homeruns by Briana Knight. Their pitching has a team total ERA of 7.44 in six games, allowing their opponents 56 hits and 44 runs.

Saint Mary’s (5-4) lost to Nevada in its last game, but had a three-game winning streak before going into that game. The Gaels infielder Rebecca Sabatini is batting .333 with nine hits and eight runs. Pitcher Britany Linton (4-3) ERA is 2.79; she has allowed 30 hits and 17 runs.

Cal State Bakersfield (5-8) had its own three game sweep over Utah Valley this past weekend.  The Roadrunners scored 23 runs in the series and only allowed nine runs. Heather Veitch has a .417 batting average with 10 hits and five runs. On the mound the Roadrunners have sophomore Sammy Rodriguez; she has an ERA of 2.42 allowing 20 runs and 37 hits.

“We are excited and well prepared and up right now,” said Mosier. “There’s nothing better than playing on your home field.”

The Matadors will play a doubleheader with Iowa at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Friday. The next day CSUN faces Santa Clara at 3 p.m. on Saturday and closes the invitational on Sunday with a doubleheader against Saint Mary’s at 1 p.m. and Cal State Bakersfield at 3 p.m.