Presidential candidate withdraws from race

Students vote for the AS candidates in a tent set up in the Oviatt Quad Monday. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith / Staff Photographer

A.S. presidential candidate, Amanda Lynch, and her running mate, Mackenzie Evans, have withdrawn from the presidential race, leaving students with one option in this year’s A.S. elections.

“Ideally you always want two more candidates running and for whatever reason she dropped out at the last moment,” said A.S. President Abel Pacheco.

Dan Monteleone, director of elections, said Lynch withdrew Friday because of personal reasons.

After several attempts Lynch could not be reached for comment.

Conor Lansdale, the other presidential candidate, said he learned Lynch had withdrawn from the race but knows the race is not over.

“I’m getting the word out there (to students) and telling them about our slate,” Lansdale said.

Students’ reactions to having one candidate to vote for were negative.

“What’s the point?” said sociology major Christian Jerez.

One student said she thought it was kind of lame and another student said he would prefer more options.

“I kind of felt like my back was against the wall,” said senior Jodi Murray.  “It’s kind of not fair.”

Junior Justin Marks, one of the students arrested in the March 4 protests, said there was probably more than one qualified person for the position.

“It makes me curious as to why that is,” said Marks, 21. “It’s sad.”

Marks, double major in English and African American Studies, said he thinks the visibility of A.S. should be more prominent.

He said he would like to see an invitation extended to other clubs and organizations to be more involved in A.S., which might help get more people to run in the elections.

Lansdale and his running mate, Neil Sanchez, will not win automatically, Monteleone said.  They have to win 50 percent plus one of the votes in order for them to actually win, he added.

If the required 50 percent is not met, there will be a run-off election where it will be mandatory to choose a candidate when voting, Monteleone said.

“I think everyone makes a difference,” freshman Saul Ventura said.

Students either said they were hopeful that their vote makes a difference or that they were sure it did.

People complain, but they don’t use their voting power, Marks said.

“I think it’s important we vote,” Marks said.  “Students need to be held more accountable and become actively involved in who represents us.”

Murray,21, said voting gives her a voice to complain if something does not go right.  She added that if you don’t vote, you can’t complain.

“I think we’re on track for at least 2,000 votes,” Monteleone said.

There are a little more than 100 votes coming in per hour, Montelone said.

Last day to vote: today 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.