CSUN Dorm Life: Home away from home

Liz Sanchez, 20, a liberal arts major said she felt so alone when she first moved to the dorms but after a month she began to make friends and loved that there were always people around to keep her company.

Living in the dorms may not be the choice for every college student but for Sanchez it’s a way of life that allows her convenient access to school and its resources., while gaining independence and new friendships.

The dorms allow students easy access to the library, computer labs, gymnasium, professors, tutorial, dining, and entertainment.

For Sanchez, moving in with three other girls worked out well, she said. The girls were able to communicate well and they set up their apartment with a personal touch and unique style, she added.

The experience of living in a dorm is generally a student’s first experience of being on their own, many of them in an entirely new city. For some students it can be exciting. For others, the adjustment of being away from family can be scary. Over time students will start to feel they are a part of a community, said Erica McCann special projects coordinator office of student housing.

There are so many diverse types of people but people need to remember they have one commonality and that’s being a Matador, McCann said.

Sanchez and her roommates opted for the two bedroom apartment which came with a couch and loveseat, twin long beds, desk and chairs and a standard kitchen that included a refrigerator. Sanchez said the rooms have tons of closet space and had a lot more room than she imagined it would.

Together Sanchez and her roommates shopped for utensils, dishes, pots and pans. Each one brought different electrical items like a TV, blender, microwave and vacuum. It’s a good idea to meet, and talk with new roommates before the big move to avoid bringing double appliances, said Sanchez.

For students living in a suite, the space is smaller and is without a kitchen. These students are generally on meal plans that offer buffet style dining at Geronimo’s, the campus dining hall, said McCann. The kitchen at Geronimo’s has been remodeled, offering an environment that is vibrant, modern, colorful, comfortable and more spacious. The food is so good that even the staff eat there regularly.

“I feel if were eating it, students should trust that it is good because we’re not on a meal plan and we can go where ever we want,” said McCann.

There is a gate closure nightly from 7:30 p.m. to 2:30a.m to help prevent intruders. Campus police patrol the grounds all day and they work with the housing department on emergency calls and a professional staff member is on call 24 hours.

In the evenings resident advisors are on every floor providing peer leadership. Advisors monitor the halls, ensuring everything is in order and people are not breaking dorm policy, McCann said. When Sanchez first moved to the dorms she didn’t have a car or a bike so she used the tram to get to and from school. Sanchez said, the trams are pretty reliable and it beats walking with a backpack full of books.

Not all students are satisfied with the tram system.

“The trams are supposed to come every 15 minutes Monday through Friday but half the time they aren’t running because they’re broken and I’m late to class,” said Kerry, 22, a sophomore studying Biology who asked to be referred by first name only.

Students who live in the dorms can use the two pools. One pool is a standard pool located on the west end of the dorms and the other is an Olympic size pool on the south end.

“With independence comes freedom, so time management is very important to academic success,” said McCann. “So it is important to keep in mind that education is the goal.”

Sometimes students get caught up in the fun of college and forget they need to go to class. Going to class is by far the most important thing our freshmen need to remember to do, she said.

“Let CSUN mold you into the person you’re supposed to be,” McCann said.