CSUN’s new Associated Students president and vice president

Conor Lansdale and Neil Sanchez, the Associated Students president and vice president, said they are honored to serve the CSUN community. Photo credit: Paul Kingsley / Photo Editor

Associated Students (A.S.) president and vice president have discussed their plans for the upcoming school year.

A.S. President Conor Lansdale, 22, information systems major, said his job is to always have students involved.

“I want more love for Matador spirit,” Lansdale said.

He added the A.S. Fair in front of the Matador Bookstore is an opportunity for A.S. to highlight what it has to offer the campus.

“It’s our first shot in a physical way to show what we do,” Lansdale said. “We have more clubs and organizations. We even have a club that teaches you how to sail.”

Lansdale said his plans for A.S. this year include more marketing.

He added one of his short-term goals is to develop a recruitment and marketing plan.

“In the past, A.S. seemed isolated,” Lansdale said. “I want to better our target markets and bring in alumni to talk about their careers.”

In addition to marketing, Lansdale said he wants to find more ways to use media in student outreach.

“I want to develop a weekly press release that focuses on major issues like immigration and set up a kiosk on the first floor of the library to serve as public awareness,” Lansdale said.

As a former board member of Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC), Lansdale said it was his fraternity’s bad reputation that initially got him involved in student organizations on campus.

“My fraternity was in trouble when I first came,” Lansdale said. “If you want to change it get involved.”

He added his experience with IFC prepared him to work with recruitment and a lot of people.

“I had to recruit for the board and work with a lot of people to get a consensus,” Lansdale said. “It was a great experience.”

Lansdale also said A.S. is a lot bigger than what he thought at first.

“I’m dealing with more than a $6 million budget,” Lansdale said. “I have to deal with human resource, personnel, and non-profit guidelines.”

Lansdale added his experience in A.S. has given him gratitude.

“This experience will help me make people better,” Lansdale said.

Lansdale said he wants to go into the Navy and later work in Intelligence after graduation.

“I have to do my service to the country before I start making money,” Lansdale said. “I will be the third generation to enlist in the Navy.”

A.S. Vice President Neil Sanchez, 22, philosophy major, said overseeing the Senate and encouraging student involvement are two of his goals for A.S. this year.

“I want to have them step outside of the minimum requirements and become better advocates,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez said his vision for CSUN students is to help propel the student life experience by increasing awareness of the political climate through voter registration.

“My goal is to get 10 percent of the student population registered, educated and motivated to vote,” Sanchez said. “That’s roughly about 3,500 students.”

He said he wants students to understand the importance of higher education as well.

“I’m a believer in higher education and respect the institution,” Sanchez said. “I want to motivate students to invest in themselves.”

Sanchez said along with serving as A.S. vice president, he is president of IFC.

“I am a big Greek advocate for the fraternity world,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez said his experience in A.S. thus far is indescribable.

He added his reason for participating in A.S. is to give back.

“Without coming to Northridge, I wouldn’t have grown to be the person I would be,” Sanchez said. “It’s an honor to be allowed to serve.”

Sanchez said he starts the LSAT this fall to study law and later wants to get a Ph.D.