Deja vu all over again for CSUN

Deja vu all over again for CSUN
Matador Nicholas Hamilton (left) battles with a Torero defender on Wednesday night at Matador Field. Photo Credit: Paul Kingsley/ Photo Editor

With the 2010 season filled with new hopes for the CSUN men’s soccer team, the University of San Diego was the Matadors first obstacle once again.

CSUN opened the year with a 2-0 loss on Wednesday night at Matador Field, falling to the Toreros for the second consecutive season opener.

After a controversial goal in the 52nd minute of the second half the Matadors were never able to recover.

The debatable call came as midfielder Dan Delgado for the Toreros crossed the ball into the goal box. CSUN goalie Michael Abalos grabbed the ball in mid air, when a Torero collided into him causing the ball to drop from his hands and into the feet of midfielder Jorge Reza. He then knocked the ball into a wide open net, as Abalos was still on the ground trying to recover.

“The refs knew that he had the ball,” midfielder Rene Anguiano said about the goal that gave the Toreros the 1-0 lead. “It definitely affected the way we played.”

Head coach Terry Davila also shared the same sentiments about the questionable call.

“Its hard enough to score without having to deal with lucky goals,” Davila said.

The loss to the Toreros marks the second game in a row where the Matador offense has been held scoreless, despite various scoring opportunities.

“We’re weak at finishing scoring opportunities,” Anguiano, who finished the game with three shots and two shots on goal, said.

Despite the Matadors offensive struggles, Davila is confident that his team will eventually play better as the season progresses.

“Once we catch our rhythm we’ll be pretty good,” Davila said.

After the Toreros’ disputable goal the game started to get physical as a frustrated CSUN team tried to obtain its tying goal.

San Diego put the game away with its second goal of the match, which came of a rebound from an Abalos save that bounced off his body and went to midfielder Dan Delgado for the strike.

In the first half CSUN had a few attacks but never really threatened in the scoreless period that was controlled by the Toreros.

The Matadors began aggressively with a shot by Gustavo Villalobos from just outside the right side of the goal box hitting the top of the crossbar in the second minute.

The Toreros quickly countered with a shot from Stephen Posa, who had a wide open look at the net but the ball ricochet just inside the right side of the goal post five minutes into the game.

The Matadors had another early opportunity to score in the seventh minute with a cross by Daniel Yoon on the left side of the goal to Camilo Rojas, who headed it towards the right side of the net but the goalie Michael D’ariggo made the save.

The Toreros only shot on goal in the first half came from Sergio Lopez, who received a pass from Christian Duke from the right side of the midfield, which Abalos saved.

A late opportunity with one minute left in the first half was a penetration from Yoon on the left side of the goal box, who passed it to Rafel Garcia on the right, Garcia had his shot go wide left.

Next up for the Matadors they will go on a six game roadtrip starting with LMU on Sunday.