Big Show X to start at night to celebrate 10 years

CSUN will celebrate its 10th anniversary of the Big Show Saturday, when the event will take place in the evening for the first time to mark the milestone.

Associated Students hosts the Big Show at CSUN every year for students and guests.

LMFAO, Kevin Rudolf and DJ Bamaca will be performing on the Oviatt Lawn and there will be food from several highly rated Los Angeles street trucks available, as well as snacks and free water provided by the University Corporation and other booths.

Czarina Martinez, graduate assistant of Student Production and Campus Entertainment (SPACE), said “The support we have from the campus is really great. We’re really close to selling out our tickets.”

Among the food trucks present will be Don Chow’s Tacos, a Chinese-Mexican fusion that has been featured in the Food Network, and Frysmith, who sell “outrageous” versions of fries including vegan chili fries and kimchi fries. Frysmith has been recognized by Westways Magazine as one of the top food trucks and has received attention from the Los Angeles Times, KFWB and other news agencies.

“Last year was the first year we invited food trucks because of the whole food truck craze,” Martinez said. “We mostly wanted to offer the audience different varieties.”

Associated Students will also have a booth selling glow sticks and glow glasses. All of its proceeds will be donated to help treat autism. In addition, the legislative affairs group from CSUN will have a booth encouraging students to vote by helping them register.

Ali Garcia, executive director for SPACE, said last year at the Big Show, SPACE conducted a survey to give students an opportunity to request what they wanted for 10th Big Show. The surveys were continued throughout the year.

“We actually collected close to 3,000 surveys and those surveys give us a layout of what they have in mind,” Garcia said.

It was from those surveys that the show directors got the idea for a night show, which also meant the need to increase security for the event.

“You always have to watch for risk management and make sure students can come and not feel harmed in any way,” Garcia said. “We are doubling up security and will be lighting up the whole area.”

Kevin A. Mojaradi, coordinator of marketing and public relations, said that security will be strict.

“Our fear is liquor and drugs,” Mojardi said. “You can’t bring items such as lip balm because people can sneak things in through those containers.”

Information and rules for the Big Show have been published in the school paper this past week. Students should be aware of items prohibited at the show because bags will be checked and attendees will have to go through a metal detector and get “wanded” before entering the show.

“We’re hoping students come out this year and that they will enjoy it,” Mojaradi said. “We want to provide something for students to be proud of and to show there is school spirit.”

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Additional information:

Line starts at 2 p.m. between Sierra Tower and Sierra Hall.
Doors open at 6 p.m.
Show ends at 11 p.m.
Parking in the west lots only with parking permit or $6 daily pass.
Advance tickets are $5 or $20 at the door.
Up to five tickets may be purchased per CSUN ID.