Three surprise teams remain undefeated

Chicago Bears’ Lance Briggs intercepts a pass to end the first half against the Green Bay Packers at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois, on Monday, Sept. 27. The Bear’s are one of three teams that remain undefeated after week three in the NFL season. The Bears look to keep their winning streak alive against the Giants on Sunday night. Photo Credit: Courtesy of MCT

By Jonathan Andrade

There are always those few teams that start the season off on the right foot and string together long winning streaks. Those teams this year are the Steelers, Chiefs and Bears.

These last three teams just happen to be the last teams anyone had imagined in the position they have found themselves in.

Pittsburgh
The Steelers headed into the season with offensive line troubles and missing the starting quarterback who led them to their last two championship runs.

The absence of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was the biggest concern for Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, but the front line also demanded concerns after giving up 50 sacks last season.

The offensive line has already allowed its quarterback to be taken down seven times so far this season, but the Steeler defense has done its part to lift the team, sacking opposing quarterbacks 10 times.

The defense wasn’t a concern heading into the season and has demonstrated why with its stellar play so far. The swarming linebackers, mixed with Troy Polamalu at safety, have held opponents to a combined two touchdowns over three games while giving up an average of 11 points a game, making them the top-ranked defense in the NFL to date.

This is also the same defense that held Tennessee Titans superstar Chris Johnson to 34 yards rushing on 16 carries, and has now forced seven fumbles and grabbed five interceptions.

If the Steelers offense can provide enough support for the team to pull off a win against the Baltimore Ravens, they will go into the bye week with Roethlisberger returning for their week six matchup against the lowly Cleveland Browns.

Kansas City
The Chiefs have surprised a lot of people by leading the NFL in rushing average per game (160.7) after three weeks, while holding opposing offenses to 12.7 points a game.

The Chiefs linebackers and defensive line have shined in the trenches by holding opposing teams’ running game to an average of 75 yards.
Also helping the team’s defensive domination is the ball-hawking corner Brandon Flowers, who has already grabbed two picks this season.

The Chiefs have faced three mediocre squads so far and will head into their bye week with the Colts waiting for them in week five. The Chiefs are by far the weakest team out of the three, and it will show when they lose first.

Chicago
The Bears have used strong running defense so far and are leading the league in rushing defense with an average of 28 yards against the subpar rushing attacks of the Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions.

After taking down the Packers, the Bears have shown how strong their defense is by holding the top-ranked offense to only 17 points.

By the looks of it, the Steelers or Bears have the best chance to start off the 2010 season with the longest win streak, but in the end, the strongest defense won’t be enough. The team with the stronger offense will keep its undefeated streak afloat.