CSUN women’s volleyball seeks to regain confidence against Roadrunners

The CSUN women’s volleyball team will take a break from Big West play and try to gain some momentum in a non-conference match against Cal State Bakersfield at the Matadome tonight.

The Matadors (6-12, 0-4 Big West) are coming off a five-match losing streak, four of which were against conference opponents.

CSUN will try to beat the Roadrunners (0-20) after being on the road for the last two games.

With the Roadrunners plagued with recent injuries, they now have only eight healthy players. The latest being Brookey Holmes, who hurt her ankle in warm-ups against UC Riverside. The Matadors are in a position to change their game around and take advantage of the Bakersfield injuries.

The Roadrunners are winless and coming of a loss against UC Riverside over the weekend. The team lost in three straight sets, though not losing by more than three points in a set.

Hopefully some of the Matador players get back on track so its firepower can come from all sides, especially from the bench.

Senior outside hitter and defensive specialist Janet Alvarado had a solid performance over the weekend, especially in a loss to UC Davis on Friday, where she pounded a team-high 12 kills.

Against the University of Pacific, the Matadors did receive their best bench play of the season, with junior Una Siljegovic and freshman setter Sydney Gedry contributing with some short solid play.

Sophomore libero Cindy Ortiz  continues to play solid defense as she had another team-high against UC Davis with 14 digs.

Although, the Roadrunners have key players banged up, such as starters Lindey DeGeare, and Lauren Holderman the team is looking for their bench to step up. Middle blocker Alysia Baker recorded nine kills.

Another threat UC Bakersfield has is freshmen outside hitter Haleigh Haratyk, who had 10 kills and senior libero Lidsay Toone, who made 17 digs in the game against UC Riverside.

CSUN also has a few injuries of its own, with senior Brittany Williams out with a bad knee and sophomore Britney Graff  out for the season because of a bad shoulder. The Matadors have had to rely on freshmen outside hitter Mahina Haina and opposite hitter Natalie Allen.

Two weeks ago, both Haina and Allen were playing well, especially when playing at home, expect them to give it their best against the Roadrunners.

If the Matadors do come out with a win, that momentum is heavily needed as they head back to conference play facing UC Riverside on Saturday night at the Matadome.