CSUN women’s volleyball snaps five-game losing streak, defeat Roadrunners in four sets

Middle blocker Lynda Morales celebrates after a Matadors point, on their way to victory over Cal State Bakersfield on Wednesday night at the Matadome. Photo Credit: Paul Kingsley

The CSUN women’s volleyball team snapped its five-game losing streak on Wednesday night, as they defeated Cal State Bakersfield 3-1 at the Matadome.

The win for the Matadors (7-12, 0-4 Big West) was their first victory at home this season.

“It’s an awesome feeling to get our first home win of the season,” senior middle blocker Lynda Morales said. “It means a lot to our team.”

The Matadors dominated the first set against the Roadrunners (0-21) with a 25-13 win. CSUN got out to an early 3-0 lead and never looked back.

CSUN hit a match high .556 and converted 85 percent of its sideout opportunities. Senior outside hitter Janet Alvarado led the Matadors with six kills in the set.

The second set was more competitive with three ties and one lead change. The Matadors used a 5-0 run to extend their 3-2 lead and win the set 25-20. The Matadors hit .220 and the Roadrunners hit a match low .028. Freshman opposite hitter Natalie Allen led the Matadors with five kills in the set.

“Our sideouts and high hitting percentage helped us in those two sets,” CSUN head coach Jeff Stork said. “We were producing points at a high level.”

The third set for the Matadors was not a good one. CSUN could not find its rhythm in the set, which had one lead change and two ties. The Matadors had an early 4-0 lead but the Roadrunners went on a 6-0 run to take the lead for good.

“Me changing the lineup a little bit might have led to a rhythm problem but I believe in every player on the team,” Stork said.  “Our passing was not as good as it was in the first two sets.”

The Matadors played their game in the fourth set, in which they won 25-19.  The set looked as if it was going down to the wire but CSUN was able to pull away with the help of a 5-0 run. There were six ties in the set and two lead changes.

“We came back fired up and ready to go (in the fourth set),” Allen said.

Morales led the Matadors with 15 kills and sophomore defensive specialist/ libero Cindy Ortiz led the team with 15 digs.

“I’ve been waiting for the night where I hit well,” Morales said. “I think that tonight was a preview of what I can do the rest of the season.”

In CSUN’s next game they will try to bring its winning momentum back home as UC Riverside (2-15) comes into town on Saturday.

Last season the team split both matches with the Highlanders winning the first meeting at the Matadome in four sets.

“They are a new team this year, bringing back only one player,” Stork said.

The Matadors hope to continue to receive solid play from Alvarado, who had eight kills and five digs on Tuesday night.

“I have to continue to stay focus, play smart, to get a win,” Alvarado said.

Allen also had a solid game on Tuesday night with 13 kills (.357) and 10 digs, hoping to carry that against the Highlanders.

The team hopes to have Monica McFarland back on Saturday, as she is suffering from a sore hip.

The Matadors are returning to conference play, hoping to win their first match of the season.

“The girls are focus to win at home,” Stork said. “Lynda had a big match [on Tuesday] hitting on a high percentage, serving steady, blocking, and we expect the same on Saturday.”