Summer classes teach DJs, super spies and poker

Summer is a time that people take advantage of by watching the latest blockbusters, lying out in the sun or visiting the beach.

But why not make a change of pace by dipping your feet into something other than the pool and discovering your inner Beastie Boy or Sydney Bristow in some of the most unique classes found in Los Angeles this summer.

Have you ever been to parties where it sounded like the disc jockeys didn’t know what they were doing? Now you can start your own party by enrolling in Scratch DJ Academy, where you learn your way around the ones and twos in six to 10 week classes. Since one of the school’s founders is the late legendary DJ of Run DMC Jam Master Jay, students are guaranteed a worthwhile experience. The featured classes instruct hopeful hip-hoppers how to DJ, from mixing and blending, to scratching and beat juggling. In addition to the basic skills, students will learn the philosophy and business know-how they will need to get established in a new career.

Scratch DJ Academy, 2324 Cotner Ave., Los Angeles (between Pico and Olympic Blvd.) 310-312-6599 or www.scratch.com/la

Ever since Maverick dominated the skies in “Top Gun” and Howard Hughes took Katharine Hepburn for a moonlit ride in “The Aviator,” the sport of flying has never looked so exciting and sexy at the same time. Thrill seekers can take their adventurous spirits to new heights with Hollywood Aviators, a sleek, modern flight school located at the historic Van Nuys Airport. The $49 Discovery Flight package allows you to fly over a scenic route at an altitude low enough to spot your own house. Beginners will be at the controls of the plane with an instructor sitting right-seat guiding you from takeoff to landing.

Hollywood Aviators, 7535 Valjean Ave., #2, Van Nuys 818-994-2004 or www.hollywoodaviators.com

So you think you’re good at Texas Hold Em? You can read the player’s face like a dictionary. You keep track of the betting style of your opponents. So how come you lost to your kid brother in last Saturday’s game? Maybe you’re not as good as you think, and maybe you should enlist in the two-day World Poker Tour Boot Camp, a program aimed for any poker player at the beginner to advanced skill level. The course includes lectures, videos and interactive card playing taught by professionals. Although the boot camp scheduled for July is already sold out, there is still time to reserve a seat in the October class at the Commerce Casino in California or the November class at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas.

World Poker Tour Boot Camp, 866-WPT-BOOT or www.wptbootcamp.com

Your mission should you choose to accept it: Spy School, an exercise-adventure camp that will teach you everything a secret agent should know, while giving you a James Bond-worthy body and butt-kicking attitude. The two-month program takes place in a facility without a single weight or piece of cardio equipment in sight. Trained instructors can turn fearful rookies into daring “assassins” with espionage essentials like taking out an assailant, scaling a building, rappelling off a 30-foot cliff, sharpshooting, and even changing your appearance with wigs and makeup. Searching for a workout that includes excitement and mystery? Mission accomplished.

Spy School at Absolution, 8535 Santa Monica Blvd. (at La Cienega Blvd.) 310-657-7878 or www.absolution-la.com