CSUN women’s basketball returns home from winless Hawaii trip

Amanda Thomson and the Matadors lost three-straight games at the Jack in the Box Rainbow Wahine Classic. CSUN was defeated by Hawai’i, Oregon State and Eastern Michigan this past weekend. Photo Credit: Patrick Dilanchian Contributing Photographer

The CSUN women’s basketball team was unable to come out with a win over the weekend as it lost all three games by double digits in the Jack in the Box Rainbow Wahine Classic.

The Matadors saw themselves matched up against Hawai’i in the first game of the tournament, and even though Northridge held the host team to only 38.2 percent shooting, they couldn’t win, losing 66-58.

Part of the reason the Matadors lost, despite holding the Warriors to a low shooting percentage from field, was because CSUN shot even worse for the game at 35.5 percent.

Another key reason why the Matadors came up short against Hawai’i was the difference in points off free throws. Hawai’i dominated at the charity strip draining 20-of-27 free throws compared to the Matadors going 6-of-9.

Kanesha Kenokoa led Hawai’i in scoring with 19 points to go along with four steals.

Even though the Warriors were outscored in second-chance points, 16-12, and points off turnovers, 26-14, they were able to prevail.

Hawai’i also had two other players in double figures: Breanna Arbuckle, who finished with 14 points, and Kuehu Shawna-Lei, who finished with 10 points.

Forward Violet Alama led the Matadors in scoring with 16 points to go along with eight rebounds during the game.

In the Matadors’ second game, they were edged in a low scoring defeat, 49-32, Saturday against Oregon State.

The Matadors finished the game with a season-low 25.9 field goal percentage contributing to the loss, which Northridge led in rebounds (40-38), assists (9-8) and blocks (4-2). The Matadors, however, were edged on the defensive end as the Beavers dominated the game in steals 12-6.

Matador forward Analee Viena-Lota led all scorers with a game-high 11 points to go along with a career-high 16 rebounds. Viena-Lota was the only Matador in double figures, although she received help from Alama, who chipped in eight points and nine rebounds.

Like the Matadors, the Beavers also finished with only one player in double figures with guard Alexis Bostic, who had a 10-point performance to go along with three steals. Forwards Misa Angela and El Sera Greer also contributed to the victory with 11 rebounds each.

The Matadors closed the tournament with their third double-digit loss in a 79-68 effort Sunday against Eastern Michigan despite an incredible scoring performance by Alama, who finished with 32 points and 11 rebounds.

Guard Amanda Thomson was the only other player in any category to reach double figures. Freshman guard Haley White contributed in her third straight game with five assists and continues to show her consistency by leading the team in assists in all three games of the tournament.

While the Matadors outscored the Eagles 38-30 in the second half and led the game with an 18-10 advantage in second-chance points, it was not enough to overcome a 21-point lead caused by a 16-0 dominance in fast-break points and a 19-10 advantage in points off turnovers.

The Eagles were led by a solid backcourt of Travelyn James, who led the team with 24 points and two steals, and Cassie Schrock, who was second in scoring with 19 points and 11 rebounds.