CSUN graduate dies in his sleep from an enlarged heart

Jourdan, sister Danielle and mother Lynda  posed for a picture during Jourdan's graduation. Photo courtesy of Danielle Van Zeebroeck
Jourdan, sister Danielle and mother Lynda posed for a picture during Jourdan's graduation. Photo courtesy of Danielle Van Zeebroeck
The Van Zeebroeck family during dinner in Telluride, Colrado for the father's birthday. Photo courtesy of Danielle Van Zeebroeck
The Van Zeebroeck family during dinner in Telluride, Colorado for the father's birthday. Photo courtesy of Danielle Van Zeebroeck
Jourdan sat in the forest during a camping trip with his family in Telluride, Colorado. Photo courtesy of Danielle Van Zeebroeck

On Father’s Day, Jourdan Van Zeebroeck and his family sat around the table and celebrated the holiday by eating dinner together, one that Jourdan helped prepare.

Little did the family know it would be the last time Jourdan would join them.

Jourdan Van Zeebroeck, recent CSUN graduate, died at the age of 23 on June 22, 2009. “He seemed perfectly normal. He loved to cook and we made dinner for my parents and then he said he was going to bed,” his sister Danielle, 22, said.

Jourdan died in his sleep that night; the likely cause was due to an enlarged heart, she said.

Jourdan was born on Nov. 6, 1985 in Van Nuys. As an outdoorsman, he loved everything from fishing and golf to snowboarding. In high school, he was known for his flair in water polo and was an amazing swimmer.

Jourdan graduated in May with a degree in business finance and was looking forward to a new job with Enterprise Rental Car in the managing program. As a member of the fraternity Sigma Chi, Jourdan was vice president of the Interfraternity Council also known as IFC. He was also a community member of the finance committee for associated students.

Fraternity brother Andrew Collard, 22, said, “He was an outspoken leader and role model for the younger guys. He gave good insight and was always friendly and comforting.”

Despite his tall stature at 6-foot-4, he was a goofball who was genuinely funny and nice, said Danielle.

“I could never go anywhere in Northridge without someone recognizing me as Jourdan’s little sister,” said Danielle. “Everyone loved him.”

A ceremony in celebration of Jourdan’s life will be held at Crespi Carmelite High School at 5031 Alonzo Ave., Encino on Wednesday, July 1st at 10 a.m.

In addition to his sister, he is survived by his parents Lynda and John.
Jourdan Van Zeebroeck will be missed but always remembered by friends, family and the CSUN community.