Sundial Update

Student collapses inside Sierra Hall, treated by paramedics

A CSUN student collapsed outside of his classroom – Sierra Hall 265 – around 4 p.m., and was escorted off campus by paramedics yesterday, according to Jennifer Browder, the student’s Anthropology 310 professor who called for help. Browder was on her way to class, which is scheduled to run from 4 p.m. to 6:45 p.m., and said she was not there at the exact moment the student, Eden Andre Segre, collapsed. “From what I understand, the student was standing outside the hallway, and then spontaneously he collapsed,” she said. “And he had a tiny cut on his nose.” Some students aided Segre and made sure he was OK, she said. “He just fell down,” said Meghan Barge, a senior anthropology major and classmate of Segre. Emergency personnel responded quickly, Browder said. Segre was escorted to an ambulance around 4:20 p.m. “I feel OK,” Segre said, as he was being escorted. “I think maybe I was … dehydrated.”

CSUN Foundation discusses fundraising, plans for project

Guests and other key members of the CSUN community, including President Jolene Koester and Associated Students President Chad Charton, gathered at the University Club Sept. 21 to discuss the night’s CSUN Foundation Board agenda. A key item on the agenda was a presentation of preliminary plans for the new Valley Performing Arts Center. The new facility will be located on the northwest corner of Nordhoff Street and Lindley Avenue, which is east of Cypress Hall, formerly the Music Building. Judy Knudson, vice president of University Advancement, said the foundation has already raised $4 million in support of the project, which is part of the Imagine the Arts Campaign. The final target the foundation wants to reach is $50 million in five to seven years, Knudson said. The plans for the new facility will also be presented to members of a fundraising committee, which is comprised mainly of business and community leaders in the area. CSUN will likely take its final plans for the PAC to the CSU Board of Trustees at its November meeting. Foundation meetings take place every three to four months.

Panhellenic Council members plot out big recruiting week

Delta Delta Delta, a member of the Panhellenic Council, is hosting a “sorority exchange” at 7 p.m. at the Tri Delta House Thursday night. Tri Delta is recruiting any CSUN women who may be interested in rushing. The Tri Delta house is located at 17739 Halsted Avenue in Northridge. On Sept. 30, Kappa Kappa Gamma will host its belly flop contest at the Kinesiology Pool between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Coming up in October, Alpha Omicron Pi will have their A.O. Pie Night. Any person that brings in canned goods will be given a slice of pie. Canned goods will be donated to Meet Each Need with Dignity, or MEND, a Pacoima-based volunteer organization that focuses on helping residents of the northeast San Fernando Valley. The Panhellenic Council has its weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. in the University Student Union Flintridge Room.