Softball: CSUN goes 2-3 in San Diego

CRACK: The CSUN softball team went 2-3 over the weekend at the San Diego Classic II. The Matadors were involved in three one-run ballgames, defeating Ohio and Ohio State, but losing the final against San Diego. Photo Credit: Tessie Navarro / Staff Photographer

By Diana Romero

The Cal State Northridge softball team (12-15) played in the San Diego Classic II at SDSU & USD over the weekend.

This Sunday, the Matadors won 7-6 against Ohio at USD and fell short after facing USD (9-11) with a 4-3 loss in extra innings.

“We weren’t as sharp as we needed to be and we weren’t as aggressive as we should’ve been,” head coach Tairia Flowers said.

Northridge held a two-run lead until USD roared back in the fifth inning by scoring three runs.

The Matadors scored a run in the seventh inning to take the game into extra innings. The Toreros scored their winning run on the eighth inning on an RBI double.

Matador Jaci Carlsen had one run and one RBI in four at-bats, Samantha Sloniker had five at-bats and one run and Karla Chaparro had four at-bats and one run totaling the score against San Diego.

Ohio Recap

Ohio began the game with two runs in the first inning, but the Matadors came back with three runs in the bottom of the first and two more in the second inning.

Ohio added two runs in the top of the fourth and CSUN’s Madeline Sale collected an RBI. Carlsen had a home run, her fifth of the season. Pitcher Hannah Fraijo is now 8-4 on the season with 4.87 ERA.

Ohio State Recap

On Saturday for the second day of the San Diego Classic II, the Matadors defeated the Ohio State Buckeyes for a 6-1 win at the USD diamond.

Flowers said the team hit the ball well and played great defense.

Louisville and Wisconsin Recap

The San Diego Classic II play began Friday at the San Diego State diamond. The Matadors fell twice against Louisville (4-1) and then lost to Wisconsin (1-0).

Senior outfielder Jennifer Mosier hit a triple in the game and provided the only score against Louisville. Carlsen had a double and was the only other Matador to get a hit. The Cardinals scored two runs in the first inning and later scored two more runs in the top of the seventh.

Wisconsin scored the lone run of the game in the top of the sixth inning on a squeeze play. The Matadors had four hits.

Mia Pagano returned this season and had her pitching debut against Wisconsin. Pagano pitched two innings without giving up any runs.

“We are playing solid right now, but we are definitely not showing our potential as we could and we did not come out aggressive on Friday,” Flowers said.

The Matadors will travel to Tucson, Arizona this weekend to face the Wildcats in a three-game series Arizona is 26-6 this season and will face CSUN for the first time this year.

“We have nothing to lose and we will play our hardest and do what we do as the Northridge softball team and we’re going to go out and compete the best that we can against Arizona,” second baseman Carlsen said.