Sundial Update

Faculty Senate discuss salaries, campus websites, term limits

Members of the Faculty Senate and other members of the campus community met Sept. 29 in the Oviatt Library to present and discuss updates to the library website, term limits in the senate, and faculty salary issues. Late into the meeting, the senate discussed whether there should be term limits to control how long a member of the faculty may serve. Some members advocated for a no-more-than two-year term limit for college and at-large senators, and said limits give faculty a chance to move on and try out other involvement opportunities at CSUN. Some who oppose the term limits said it could cause the loss of institutional memory, citing no evidence that a term limit would serve the purpose of the senate. Antonio Calvo from the Oviatt Library was also on hand to discuss with the body improvements and a redesign to the official library website. Additionally, Assistant Provost Jerry Leudders (pictured above) addressed the senate during the provost’s report with issues relating to faculty salaries and recruiting, citing positive figures for the latter, with the university planning to increase faculty recruitment and the funding devoted to it in the coming fiscal year.

– Jelly Mae Jadraque and Ryan Denham

CSUN alumnus gives back by

donating $1 million to college

CSUN Alumnus Harvey Bookstein, co-founder of the Los Angeles accounting firm, Roth, Bookstein and Zaslow LLP, donated $1 million to the College of Business and Economics in May. The donation created the Harvey and Harriet Bookstein Chair in Taxation and represents the first endowed chair at CSUN. According to Fred Evans, dean of College of Business and Economics, Bookstein is known for showing personal interest in the success of his clients, which he said was reflected in his donation and commitment to the success of his alma mater. “This gift provides a huge lift to our accounting program,” Evans said. Bookstein graduated from CSUN in 1970 with a bachelor’s degree in accounting. In 1975 he co-founded RBZ LLP, an accounting and business consulting firm in which Bookstein worked for 23 years. The company has 10 partners and 65 staff members that specialize in tax and consulting services for real estate and non-profit law firms.

– Vanessa Abner

‘Wellness at CSUN’ program to start up at Fitness Centre

The “Wellness at CSUN You” program will debut of the Fitness Centre in the University Student Union on Oct. 11 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event, which is supported by the Kinesiology Department along with two graduate students, aims to establish a program for faculty and staff on campus that engages them in physical well-being activities, such as learning about nutrition. The program will be available at the Fitness Centre. Faculty and staff will be able to sign up and receive the student rate, which is about $50. “Living a better quality of life makes better quality teaching,” said Steven Loy, kinesiology professor. Loy said he has been a big supporter of the program, along with Karen Brown and Shilo Nelson, two graduate students who helped to develop the idea. The program will feature diet analysis, and also attempt to teach those who sign up for the program how to properly use the fitness machines. It will also provide information on choosing healthy food options from the vendors on campus.

–– Candice Mitchell