CSUN student is involved in traffic collision at busy intersection near the university

Firefighters treat an unidentified man, the driver of the Toyota Tacoma, who was involved in a collision near the intersection of Nordhoff Street and Reseda Boulevard. The accident occurred when the Toyota collided with a Saturn sedan that was pulling out of the Vons parking lot. Photo Credit: Quan Luong / Staff Reporter

A two-vehicle collision Tuesday shortly before 6 p.m. on Nordhoff Street just west of the intersection of Nordhoff Street and Reseda Boulevard left one person hospitalized.  Witnesses said a silver Toyota Tacoma was speeding west on Nordhoff Street when it collided with a tan-colored Saturn sedan.

CSUN student Ricardo Urrutia, 24, psychology major, was waiting at the bus stop on the corner of Reseda Boulevard and Nordhoff Street in front of Chase Bank when the accident happened.

“I saw the Saturn pulling out of the mall.  He (driver of the Toyota) was too fast.  He tried to stop but he ran into the Saturn.”

Urrutia said the driver is a classmate of his but does not know his name.

The driver and passenger of the Saturn said the whole thing happened quickly.

Tiffany Clark, a bank teller, was behind the wheel.

“I was coming out of the parking lot.  I was trying to get into the second lane, and then I heard an engine”

Her boyfriend, Lon Davenport, was in the passenger seat.

“We were leaving McDonald’s,” he said.  “I just heard a motor.  It happened so fast.  I don’t know what happened.  Next thing I know, I saw his car flip.”

The Toyota came to rest on its roof.  Urrutia helped pull the driver out of the car.

“I helped pull him out of the car,” Urrutia said.  “He was confused.  He couldn’t speak much.  His hands were bleeding.”

Clark’s automobile was driven off the street, where it was pulled onto the back of the tow truck that was carrying the Toyota away.  Armando Aguilar, the driver who was towing the cars said her car was being impounded.