A.S. allocates money to pay for fundraiser for Japan earthquake victims

A.S. approved a resolution on Tuesday to allocate funds to ‘HOPE for Japan,’ a benefit to raise funds and awareness for victims of the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan. The benefit will take place April 23 at 6 p.m. in the Northridge Center in the USU. Photo Credit: Tessie Navarro / Staff Photographer

Associated Students allocated $1,500 to fund the HOPE for Japan benefit concert in a motion that allowed them to indirectly provide aid to the country which has been devastated by massive earthquakes, tsunamis and seeping nuclear radiation from damaged plants for months.

The concert will showcase CSUN students performing spoken word, poetry, dance and musical pieces, including Jishin Taiko, CSUN’s Japanese drumming ensemble and cultural club, on Saturday April 23 at 6 p.m. in the USU Northridge Center.

Senator Melinda Hambrick advocated for A.S.’s funding of the event.

“Since we cannot donate directly to a non-profit organization, we’re helping fund the event that will raise money,” she said.

Honshu, Japan, sustained a 9.0 earthquake that struck 20 miles underwater off the eastern coast on March 11 at 2:46 p.m. local time, 9:46 p.m. on March 10 PST, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Aftershocks have rattled the region since the initial record-breaking quake.  The most recent occurred on April 19 at approximately 7 a.m. PST.

Japan’s government has estimated the cost of rebuilding the coastal area hardest hit by the natural disasters at $309 billion.

A total of 13,843 people have been confirmed dead and 14,030 were still missing as of April 18, according to Reuters.

Hundreds of thousands of Japanese have been displaced following the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear plant explosions, according to the same article.

About 136,481 people are living in shelters around the country, 70,000 people within the 12-mile radius of the failing Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are believed to have evacuated and 136,000 residents in the zone extending an additional six miles have been advised to stay indoors.

Students groups across the 23 CSU campuses are raising money for relief efforts.  Students at CSU Long Beach and Dominguez Hill made origami cranes – symbolic of world peace, healing and hope – to send to Japan and sell on campus, according to the California State University website.

HOPE for Japan will be CSUN’s second campus event to raise money for the area.  CSUN music students will perform a recital Thursday April 21 at 12 p.m. in Cypress Hall 158.  The performance is free but donations are encouraged.

Organizations involved in conducting the benefit concert include H.O.P.E. Fellowship, Japanese Student Association, Jishin Taiko, Pray for Japan, Associated Students, Unified We Serve and the Matador Involvement Center.

The event’s flier notes its intentions are to “raise funds and awareness for those impacted by the tragic events in Japan” while allowing CSUN students to showcase their talents.  Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for non-students.

In other news…

A.S. approved to charter three organizations: Phi Lambda Nu Fraternity, College Students in Broadcasting, and Sustainability Club

Senate allocated $800 to Ballet Folklorico Aztlan de CSUN for Folklor de Mexico and $4,000 to CSUN Geology Club to fund their trip to Iceland.