CSUN fraternities and sororities raise funds for Special Olympics with mock jail and bail event

Sophomore recreation and tourism management major, Chase Torrence participated in the Jail and Bail event at the Plaza del Sol in efforts to raise money for the special olympics. Photo Credit: Armando Ruiz / Senior Photographer

The CSUN Greek Community held Jail ‘n Bail, an event where one representative from each sorority and fraternity is imprisoned in a large mock jail cell in the USU’s Plaza del Sol on Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Donations were being accepted throughout the event to help bail out the imprisoned representatives.

“This is day two of Greek Week,” said Tracy Escobedo, Panhellenic Council programming chair. “If the representatives participating in Jail ‘n Bail raise $100 during the event, they can bail out of jail.”

This year, the money raised during Greek Week will support the Southern California Special Olympics.

“We are supporting the Special Olympics and promoting Greek unity,” said Pete Camarillo, 19, representative for Tau Kappa Epsilon.

The first chapter to bail out of jail and raise $100 during the event was Kappa Sigma, followed by Alpha Xi Delta, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Tau Kappa Epsilon.

The goal at the end of day two of Greek Week is to raise $3,000 for the Special Olympics, Escobedo said.