Occupy protests head to CSUN

The Occupy movement that has moved across the country will set up camp at CSUN Thursday.

Student activists plan to occupy the Oviatt lawn from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. during a schedule National Student Protest.

Known as Occupy Colleges, this branch of the national Occupy Movement is encouraging walkouts on college campuses throughout the country.

Over 90 college campuses are set to participate in this movement, according to the Occupy College website.

“Around the country, more and more high school students are foregoing a college education because their families can no longer afford it,” according to the Occupy Colleges Facebook page.  “So many more are graduating with inconceivable amounts of debt and stepping into the worst job market in decades.”

In a mass email sent by Edy Alvarez, president of CSUN Greens, Alvarez said he has already sent in the field reservation space form and is awaiting approval.

Members of the group have made a list of plans for students to follow in this last-minute effort. Protesters are advised to set up tents and sleeping bags on the Oviatt lawn in an effort to organize a mock tent city, Alvarez’s email read.

CSUN Greens will be providing vegetarian food and accepting donations to give to Occupy Los Angeles, which is on its 10th day downtown.

Since Occupy Wall Street’s creation on Sept. 17, the movement has grown, spreading across the country to cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston and Washington, D.C.

Participants in the Occupy Movement refer to themselves as the “99 percent,” the group outside of America’s top 1 percent of wealthy and powerful. Protesters have called for the end of corporate greed, high costs of education and war funding.

“Our nation, our species and our world are in crisis,”  according to the Occupy Wall Street webpage.  “The U.S. has an important role to play in the solution, but we can no longer afford to let corporate greed and corrupt politics set the policies if our nation.”