W-Soccer: Farran scores early as CSUN moves into first-place tie

fsdfas
fsdfas
Heidi Farran, right, and the Matadors got a huge road win at Cal State Fullerton Thursday night. Photo credit: Simon Gambaryan / Daily Sundial

An early goal by senior forward Heidi Farran was all the CSUN women’s soccer needed to defeat Cal State Fullerton, 1-0, Thursday evening to move into a first-place tie with UC Irvine in the Big West Conference standings.

Farran, who scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season, put the Matadors (6-7-2, 4-1-1) ahead in the eighth minute of play. Junior forward Melissa Fernandez made her way through the penalty box and passed the ball to senior defender Brielle Slepicoff, who then found Farran wide open. Farran shot the ball to the left post, beating Titan goalkeeper Lindsey Maricic.

“It was a great build-up and when I got the pass, I thought about cutting it inside, but I saw two players so I just took a swing,” Farran told gomatadors.com.  “I was a little off balance, but a goal is a goal and I’ll surely take it.”

Junior goalkeeper Cynthia Jacobo continued her strong play, including a save on redshirt sophomore midfielder Kishi Smith’s shot.

Jacobo lunged to her right, but when she saw Smith shooting to the left side of the net, she readjusted and managed to deflect the ball wide of the net with her left hand.
Jacobo, who was named Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season on Monday, earned the 22nd win of her career and her 16th career shutout.
Farran tied former teammate Susie Mischenko for sixth in school history for goals scored with 12.“Our club worked hard tonight and deserved the result,” CSUN head coach Keith West said.  “It sets up a great match Sunday (against UC Irvine) where both clubs know what is at stake.”

With both teams leading the conference at 13 points, CSUN and UCI will play on Sunday evening at the Matador Soccer Field for sole position of first place.