A.S. encourage student participation in S.P.A.C.E. event planning

Associated Student senate vote in new members during the first meeting of the semester on Tuesday. Jessica Jewell / Daily Sundial

President of Associated Students, Amanda Flavin, presented Student Production and Campus Entertainment’s objectives and organizational structure Tuesday.

Flavin said the goal of S.P.A.C.E. is to produce six to seven events a year. The president said that she’d rather provide “better-quality events held less often.”

The president urged a shift from faculty and staff advising the planning of events to a more student-run structure.

S.P.A.C.E. is looking to engage students, and its aim is to create student-run and produced events, Flavin said. She hopes students will be able to participate in the selection of artists and have a voice in what events are thrown for the campus.

Flavin stressed fiscal efficiency and said the executive director for S.P.A.C.E. will now work with the assistant director of finance to draft budgets and submit reports for all event finances.

The goal is to “make use of financial resources to maximize utilities,” Flavin said.

An A.S. faculty advisor suggested the use of students enrolled in relevant classes, like marketing or political science, to assist in contributing to S.P.A.C.E. efforts and programs. He said that class interface with campus organizations has garnered success in the past.

Some proposed events mentioned were “Big Show,” a spring music festival, tailgating and Earth Day.

Further discussion on S.P.A.C.E. plans is scheduled for upcoming A.S. meetings.