SRC offers intramural sports, sport clubs and group classes

CSUN’s new three-story Student Recreation Centeroffers a wide variety of classes, services and flexible hours available to students, faculty, alumni and the local community.Programs offered include; group exercise classes, intramural activities, sport clubs aquatics, open recreation, wellness trainers and outdoor activities.

It’s open Monday-Thursday from 6 a.m. – midnight, Fridays 6 a.m.-10 pm. and Saturdays and Sundays 9 a.m.-10 p.m.

Intramural sportsIntramural sports organized at the SRC create a competitive atmosphere where CSUN students can play against other CSUN students in a relaxed atmosphere. An alternative to competing on a collegiate level, students can stay in shape while still participating in fun group sports activities. Students pay $5.00 a semester to join and the program offers a wide range of sports.

·      Basketball
·      Inner Tube Water Polo
·      Floor Hockey
·      Outdoor and Indoor Soccer
·      Badminton (singles and doubles)
·      Table Tennis (singles and doubles)
·      Volleyball
·      Softball

Sport clubs

Sport clubs provide students with the opportunity to compete with other students in regional and national sports, games and recreational activities.The aquatic center offers a selection of services for students to take advantage of. Admission to the pool is $1.00 for students and children, $2.00 for faculty, staff and alumni and $3.00 for the local community. Free private and group lessons are available including an Adult Stroke Technique Class. Registration for the Adult Stroke Technique Class begins 30 minutes prior to beginning and holds a maximum of 15 people per class. Visitors can also participate in group aqua aerobic classes and lap swimming.

Wellness trainers are available to members as well. They can measure individuals’ overall fitness level and provide information and make recommendations to help maintain a healthy body.

SRC also coordinates outdoor adventures. Activities include kayaking, hiking, rock climbing and camping; trips range in price from $20-$100 depending on the activity.

The facility offers an extensive list of classes held in three studios on the first and second floors.

Group Exercise Classes

Group exercise classes are offered at the new facility. The following classes are free of charge, and fall in a few categories, suiting diverse needs.

·      Cardio Dance- With empowering instructors, dancers can move to tunes like jazz, Latin, Afro-caribbean, funk, Brazilian and ballet.

·      Zumba- combines both Latin and contemporary pop music. Classes include intervals training with intervals of intensity.

·      Hip-hop- A fast-paced class that keeps energy levels up while learning fun hip-hop moves.

·      Belly Dancing- Improves cardiovascular fitness while strengthening core muscles to fun dance moves.

·      Strength and Conditioning- Mixture of kinetic movement styles to increase strength and flexibility in a high-intensity delivery.

·      Matador Boot Camp- A moderate to high intensity, whole-body workout including weights and cardio excercises.

·      X-Treme Boot Camp

·      Rockin’ Body Sculpt- Strength training using different equipment to tone up.

·      Spinning- Cycle on a stationary bike to music. Instructors take individuals through a series of challenging speeds and resistance combinations while in the saddle.

·      Mat Pilates- Offers a series of movements that lengthen and strengthen.

·      Yoga- Move through poses and breathe while connecting mind and body. Stress relieving and effective in toning, the class focuses on traditional yoga poses and meditation.

Specialty Group Exercise Classes

SRC also offers some specialty group exercise classes for an additional fee of $2.00. Advanced registration is necessary for these classes as there are limited seats available for each session.

·      TRX Suspension Training- Class suspends arms or legs to use body-weight building stability, strength and flexibility. Maximum capacity 18.

·      Fit Wall- Climb the rock wall, using a variety of tools through the workout. Maximum capacity six.

·      Pilates Reformer- Maximum capacity 10.

·      Pilates Chair- Maximum capacity 10.