Baseball: Matadors open season on the road at Sac State

It’s Matt Curtis’s second year at the helm of CSUN baseball and last year’s 23-33 record is still fresh on his mind.

CSUN has had months to scrimmage amongst themselves but the coaches and players are excited to finally return to action this weekend in a three-game series at Sacramento State beginning Friday at 2 p.m..

“Going into the second year I think the comfort level is better all around,” Curtis said. “I think the student athletes have a better understanding of what the expectations are. I’m excited to see what we have.”

Northridge’s roster is drastically different from last year since nearly half of the Matadors’ roster is comprised of freshmen and transfers.

Of the returning players, catcher Marty Bowen and right-handed pitcher Vincent Roberts have a chance at making headlines for CSUN this year.

Bowen returns to his place behind the plate after a breakout year in which he hit .320 while tallying 55 hits and 23 RBI.

“I’m looking to drive the ball more,” Bowen said. “I want to hit a couple more home runs and more doubles and be a little more productive as a power offensive guy.”

Roberts responded to the preseason polls that have the Matadors slated to finish last in the Big West.

“It isn’t good to be considered the last place team,” Roberts said. “It’s also a confidence boost … it’s a momentum starter because we want to prove that we’re not last. We have a lot of good freshmen this year. We’re looking to turn heads and prove people wrong.”

Junior infielder transfer Cal Vogelsang is expected to see a lot of playing time after spending last season at College of the Canyons where he hit .380 with 11 home runs and 35 RBI.

“I just want to do my part in my role and do whatever I need to do to help us win games and allow our team to be successful,” Vogelsang said.