University Student Union’s computer lab soon to be study area

University Student Union’s facilities and commercial services committee finalized discussions on plans to turn their computer lab into a technology-friendly lounge and study area for students, Monday.

“We have our concrete ideas,” said Sabrina Lockey, chair of the committee. “We have our plan. Now we just need to take it to the next level with a proposal.”

The computer lab, currently in the USU Sol Center is due to be moved to the E-Building in the 2012-13 academic year, according to Jeremy Hamlett, commercial services manager of the USU.

The committee’s ideas for the new space include charging stations for smart phones and other devices, flat screen TV’s and lounge seating.

“I think one of the most important things is lighting,” said committee member Collin Johnson. “Lighting, and that sense of warmth and comfort. That feeling is what is actually going to attract people.”

The committee will draft a proposal that will be review by the USU board and finance committee. No budget for the project is yet available.

“I don’t think CSUN needs it,” said Veronica Rillera, sophomore liberal studies major. “There are plenty of study areas and places to sit. I’d rather see that money go to all the classes that are being cut.”

The committee’s proposal will borrow from similar lounges spaces currently at CSU’s Sacramento, San Jose and San Diego.

“The student union is for students,” Lizzie Awad, chair of the USU board of directors. “We really want them to know this is their space.”