Remembering the life of CSUN psychology professor, Roger Moss

Roger Moss, a psychology professor at CSUN, died on May 26 in Los Angeles among family and friends. The cause of his death is not available.

Moss began his career at California State University Northridge in 1968. He taught contemporary trends in psychology and counseling and interviewing.

A former student of Moss, Kelly Cruz, remembers Moss as a great teacher and mentor.

“He was observant, knowing the interests of his students individually,” Cruz said.

Cruz, a 22-year-old upcoming psychology graduate student described Moss as spiritual and cultured man.

“The way he taught psychology was from a global perspective,” Cruz said.

Moss founded CSUN’s Teacher Intern Program (TIP) designed to mentor graduate students in psychology and train them as college instructors.

“TIP is recognized by many colleges like Pierce College and Moorpark College, and gives advantages to the graduate students who want to become teachers,”  Cruz said.

Cruz described Moss as the modern Santa Claus.  In addition to educating, Moss helped low-income people in Oregon where he kept a farm.  He donated the food he harvested at his farm to people in need through a nearby medical clinic.

Cruz said Moss never showed his face to those that received food, which demonstrated his private nature.

“He was my first CSUN professor that gave me hug,” Cruz said. “There is no other professor at CSUN that cares for their students the way he did. Nobody will replace him.”

Moss earned several psychology degrees. He completed his undergraduate studies at Brooklyn College and earned a graduate degree at North Carolina State University and his doctorate at Colorado State University.

Moss was also the co-founder of deaf studies and American Indian studies at CSUN.

A memorial gathering will be held at the Northridge Center in CSUN’s Student Union June 15 at 4 p.m.