CSUN hosts debate on Propositions 30, 38

Education and taxation measures, Proposition 30 and Proposition 38, will be discussed during a forum with guest speakers Sept. 19, hosted by CSUN’s Tseng College.

Proposition 30 will raise income and sales taxes to assist with California’s budget crisis. If  it does not get passed, a $250 million trigger cut will hit CSU’s budget.

Proposition 38 will increase income tax for California to help fund colleges, schools, courts and programs for the poor.

Guest speakers include: Molly Munger, civil rights attorney and director of the Advancement Project for Public Policy Change, who is a supporter of Proposition 38; Lisa Snell, the director of education and child welfare at Reason Foundation, who opposes both propositions; and John Welty, the president of California State University, Fresno, and an advocate for Proposition 30.

Howard Miller, attorney and 85th president of the State Bar of California, will moderate the discussion, and Provost Harry Hellenbrand will open the discussion.

An invitation to speak has been extended to members of the CFA, but the association refused to participate, according to Carol Shubin, an event coordinator for the forum and member of the CFA.

The CFA has taken a stand supporting Proposition 30, but not Proposition 38, which is why they are not participating, according to Shubin.

Forrest Perez, a junior mechanical engineering major, has not decided if he will vote in November.

“I need to do more research before I decide to vote,” he said. “Schools need money, and education is important.”

He would be interested in attending the forum if it fits his schedule, Perez said.

The forum will take place in the Oviatt Library’s Jack and Florence Ferman Presentation Room from 7-9 p.m. The event is free. However, attendees are encouraged to RSVP.