Brown signs bill for Dreamers to get a drivers license

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Sunday that will allow dream students who are granted deferred action to apply for a California driver’s license.

Assemblymember Gilbert Cedillo (D-Los Angeles) presented Assembly Bill 2189 to Brown and said the passing of the bill is a “victory for those who were brought here through no choice of their own, played by the rules, and are only asking to be included and contribute to American society,” according to his office’s press release.

In progress since February, AB 2189 states that any document received by a person granted deferred action would be accepted as proof of legal presence for the purpose for applying for a California driver’s license, according to California legislature.

The passing of this bill made California the first state to grant driver’s licenses to DREAM students who have been granted deferred action.

The deferred action program, which President Obama announced in June, grants a two-year reprieve from deportation to unauthorized immigrants that came to the United States as children (and are known as DREAMers), according to the National Immigration Law Center.

The program, also known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), grants on a case-by-case basis and can be renewed after the initial 2-year period.