Meet the swap meets

Map by Austin Lasater (Contributer)

At some point in our college life, CSUN students come across the path of wanting to purchase the latest fashion trend without having to be reported to ChexSystems. But setting a foot on swap meet territory never appears to be on our agenda. Being stereotyped as a place where unfashionable people purchase their clothes is like saying that fashion should be considered ambiguous. Times are hard and college students are walking on a penny lane where luxury appears to be guiding them into becoming fashionistas on a swap meet budget.

San Fernando Swap Meet

585 Glenoaks Blvd.

Admission Rates: Tuesday/Saturday $1.00, Thursday/Friday ¢.50 and Sunday $1.50

The San Fernando Swap Meet is the ideal location when shopping for shoes; one may purchase TOMS for $30, Converse Chuck Taylors for $25 and oxfords for $14.

“It’s important to shop around and not when you need something because the more you already have, the less pressure to buy something last minute at the nearest store that won’t give you the beat bargain price,” says Dinorah Virgen, 22, business marketing major after purchasing a red orange blazer at the San Fernando Swap Meet.

“Students should not be concern about the advertisements retail stores are offering,” she said.

However, nothing is ever as nice at it seems. The high school that is located next to it, appropriately coined “Swap Meet High,” should not be your biggest concern. What will have you stressing out is having to circulate an eternity when trying to find parking. CSUN students should not worry about this issue, most deal with it on a daily basis.

Saugus Swap Meet
22500 Soledad Canyon Road
Admission Rates: $1.50

Open Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday

When it comes to unique accessories, live music and beer, the Saugus Speedway which hosts the Saugus Swap Meet is the right place to go. It will become the ideal place fashion seekers can go to find the right accessory without the hassle of feeling claustrophobic. Who knows, Ryan Gosling might “Drive” his way into the outdoor race track-turned-swap meet if he ever wishes to shop on a budget by visiting one of the twelve locations the film took place.

The Saugus Swap Meet becomes the perfect weekend location for fashion enthusiast who love the idea of purchasing great deals like Forever 21 clothing for no more than $10.

“I usually buy shirts and either sew them to fit me or I will cut them up to make them look different,” says Stephanie Marquez-Cardenas, 23, photography major. “You can always look fashionable without having to buy high end clothing,” she said.

Slauson Indoor Swap Meet

1600 W Slauson Ave.

Free admission, open daily

If you enjoy seeking an adventure, how about going to the Slauson Indoor Swap Meet in South Los Angeles where one may have to be weary of elderly retailers who are roaring at the sea of fashionably anxious buyers wanting to know “how much for the boots?”

The Slauson Indoor Swap Meet is like the Northridge Fashion Center with the exception of the security guards watching your every move. Students like Priscilla Galvez, 23, liberal studies major believes that negotiating is key when shopping at the indoor swap meet.

“You’d be surprised at what cute things you can find for good prices,” she said after successfully purchasing $18 booties for the fall and a dressy top to go along with them at the South L.A. swap meet.

New York Fashion Week may have been in full effect by showcasing what will be hot for Spring 2013, as college students we are more focused in looking fierce, hot and fabulous on a swap meet budget by rocking our own looks, right now.